Question about Italians Naturalized in the USA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cesinali

Question about Italians Naturalized in the USA

Postby cesinali » 23 May 2015, 00:05

Hello,

I found this forum recently and the amount of information here has been really helpful with my family research. Thank you for all the information here!

Here is my question: I am in the process of researching dual citizenship for myself, via my great grandfather/grandfather/father's lineage. Great Grandfather came from Italy in 1912 through Ellis Island, and Grandfather was born in 1916 in New England (eldest of 6 children, all born in the United States between 1916-1925), father was born in the late 1930s, me born in the early 60s. Great Grandfather was not naturalized until 1924 and died in the mid 1970s in New England. Great Grandmother died young in the mid 1920s (she was also from Italy) and I do not believe she was ever Naturalized. I am currently waiting on the naturalization records from USCIS on Great Grandpa.

Here is my question: Was it customary (or even possible) for an alien (ie. my Great Grandfather) to renounce Italy citizenship not only for himself, but for his minor children? I have only been told that Great-grandpapa renounced - no mention of the children being included, so I honestly do not know if this is even possible. (All my younger great aunts and uncles are now deceased so I cannot ask for clarification on this from them.) And IF this was done and great grandpapa did renounce for himself AND the children, does this exclude me from recognition by Italy for dual status?

The search request from USCIS took almost 5 months to get a reply with the naturalization record locator, so I am not sure how long it will take to get the actual naturalization records this time and I am wondering about this.

Thank you for your help!

mler
Master
Master

Re: Question about Italians Naturalized in the USA

Postby mler » 24 May 2015, 00:45

Your great grandfather never renounced (unless he specifically went to the Italian consulate to declare he no longer wished to be a citizen--highly unlikely).

However, naturalization before 1992 caused automatic loss of Italian citizenship, and I think this is what you mean. When your ggf naturalized he did so on his own behalf and on behalf of his minor children who were born in Italy.

Since your grandfather and his siblings were born in the U.S., they were not affected by his naturalization, and the Italian line continued. You are good to go. :D

I should add, though, that any of your grandfather's siblings who were born after their father's naturalization would not have inherited Italian citizenship since after his naturalization there was no Italian citizenship to pass on. This does not apply to your grandfather who was born well before the naturalization.

cesinali

Re: Question about Italians Naturalized in the USA

Postby cesinali » 24 May 2015, 19:14

Thank you for this information ! It is most helpful !

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”