Ellis Island Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Ellis Island Question

Postby phishfood » 21 Aug 2005, 05:44

My great grandfather came over from Italy. We have heard from family it was in 1908. His name is Luigi Marrone. He is from Pescara, Italy. How do I know which man it is when I look on the website? There are a few choices with varying info. that could be him, so how do I know which one is him?

Kim
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ellis Island Question

Postby VaDeb » 21 Aug 2005, 05:54

In my opinion it takes research. The more you know about your ancestor the easier it is to distinguish him from among others of the same name. Knowing the town is a start. Add their year of birth. Since we work backwards as we research, look for the earliest trace of your ancestor in this country. Narrow down their year of immigration from census reports.

In the end there shouldn't be to many Luigi Marrone's from Pescara with the same year of birth with an immigration date that matches the date from the census. If you end up with two or three read where and who their destination is in the US. Who did they leave as a closest relative in Italy. This should lead you to a logical conclusion to who is "your" ancestor.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ellis Island Question

Postby phishfood » 22 Aug 2005, 04:17

When you talk of census reports are you talking from the US or Italy? I know US has a census but do other countries like Italy have census reports? If Italy does, do I order one from his home town or how do you find that?

Kim
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship