Serendity from Italy to the US and Back to Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MaddalenaNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Serendity from Italy to the US and Back to Italy

Postby MaddalenaNYC » 22 Aug 2015, 02:17

My two grown children have expressed a desire to obtain Italian Citizenship via jus sanguinis and they can by utilizing either one of my side of my Italian family. My father's family was from the north, and my mother's family from the south. I too can obtain citizenship via the law of the blood. And so, we're going to do it.

It isn't easy, I have found, mostly owing to the lack of formal documents. But I do believe it can be done. My son and I have started the search for the documents.

Best regards to all on this board, the descendants of our Italian forefathers. Do you think that our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents could ever imagine that here we are, US born seeking Italian citizenship?

mler
Master
Master

Re: Serendity from Italy to the US and Back to Italy

Postby mler » 22 Aug 2015, 16:35

Have fun, and best of luck.

MaddalenaNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MaddalenaNYC » 23 Aug 2015, 01:25

It's working ...actually in the works so far.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 23 Aug 2015, 15:57

MaddalenaNYC wrote:Best regards to all on this board, the descendants of our Italian forefathers. Do you think that our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents could ever imagine that here we are, US born seeking Italian citizenship?

Hi Maddalena, I have been a recognized Italian citizen since 2001. While all four of my Italian grand-parents had all ready passed away, I can tell you that all of the relatives remaining in Italy, from both sides of my family that never went to America and whom I never knew before, were extremely happy to see me and include me in their lives when I moved back to my ancestral homeland after I obtained my Italian passport.

MaddalenaNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MaddalenaNYC » 25 Aug 2015, 01:02

I could sure use your help in navigating this process.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 25 Aug 2015, 10:49

There are many knowledgeable people posting here about Italian citizenship. In addition to my own case, nine years later in 2010, I started helping my companion research his own recognition through his grand-father from Calabria. In 2011, he was recognized by the San Francisco consulate and within six weeks he had his Italian passport and then joined me here in Italy where we are both retired. So I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”