Need help finding naturalization records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
knitandthecity

Need help finding naturalization records

Postby knitandthecity » 17 Nov 2015, 02:14

I'm trying to gain citizenship through my great grandfather and am stuck on his naturalization paperwork.

I have his Soundex card from the Illinois Northern District Naturalization index. He naturalized on 9/29/1931. But he didn't do it in the federal court - rather local/supreme court. The soundex card is on Microfilm M1285.

We have tried NARA in Chicago - nada.
We have tried Indiana State Archives - so far nothing. I tried and got nothing. My mom called and someone said they *might* have it - so the research continues.
I just sent a request to USCIS - so I have to wait for their response. But since he didn't do this federally - I'm not sure they'll have it.

Everyone else in the family did it at the same time 10 years later, federally and we found all of their papers. But I need his.

I have a ship manifest for him AFTER his naturalization (he went back to visit his mother one last time) that shows the same 9/29/1931 naturalization date - so I"m sure that's when it happened. I pulled up the 1940 census docs and for citizenship it shows NA. :/ They also spelled his name wrong. He didn't read/write english very well, if at all.

Where else can I go? Is there anything else that's acceptable for the consulate to accept? If I were able to show the card and the ship manifest for example?

Per the soundex card - he was denied citizenship on 1/11/26 (thankfully because my grandfather hadn't been born yet). I'm not sure if that denial is causing any issues.

Any help is appreciated

ffusiak
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need help finding naturalization records

Postby ffusiak » 18 Nov 2015, 13:55

Can you give a name, location, DOB etc?

knitandthecity

Postby knitandthecity » 19 Nov 2015, 15:54

Donato Macchia
DOB: 10/27/1890
Naturalized: 9/29/1931

He naturalized in the Gary, Lake County, Indiana Court - NOT Federal court.

I believe the Indiana State Archives has it but they can't find it.

knitandthecity

Postby knitandthecity » 19 Nov 2015, 21:57

I have my great grandmother's naturalization document and letter of intent. Both show my great grandfather's naturalization date.

He went back to Italy AFTER his naturalization. On the return ship manifest - it lists his naturalization date.

I also have his Soundex card with the same date.

Finally I have the 1930 census showing Italian citizenship and the 1940 census showing he naturalized (my grandfather was born before 1930).

If I can't find his actual certificate of naturalization (because Indiana may just not have it anymore) - will the above documents - certified and translated - be enough for me to get my citizenship?

I have every other birth, marriage and death certificate.

ffusiak
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ffusiak » 21 Nov 2015, 13:25

A quick search of the Indiana Naturalization records at familysearch - reveal a different date and year.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVM8-WQ7G

This is also a book on Lake County Naturalization which may prove helpful.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/index-to- ... ef_results

knitandthecity

Postby knitandthecity » 24 Nov 2015, 16:41

Thanks for the links.

The Donato you found is my great grandfather's cousin. We have all of his records.

I'll have to check the World Cat title you provided. Thank you

Paula7928

Postby Paula7928 » 03 Jan 2016, 23:50

You should write to USCIS.. Their address is:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
ATTN: Records Operations Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington DC 20529-2204

Include a letter with all of the information spelled out including birth dates, etc. and also include any mis-spellings of the name.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”