Dual Citizenship - Where to Begin??

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kjr123

Dual Citizenship - Where to Begin??

Postby kjr123 » 15 Dec 2015, 05:22

Hi,

I am applying for dual citizenship through my great-great-grandfather, but am having a lot of difficulty in finding any documentation on his birth or naturalisation papers.

From what I've gathered so far:

Name: Salvatore Bilardello (later changed to 'Billadello')
Birth Date: Ranging between 1883-1888
Place of Birth: Marsala
Arrival in Ellis Island: 1906

Unfortunately, I have no idea what his parents' names were..I only know information from when he married my great-great-grandmother, and his children.

Thank you in advance for any help that you're able to give!

James
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dual Citizenship - Where to Begin??

Postby James » 16 Dec 2015, 23:26

kjr123 wrote:Hi,

I am applying for dual citizenship through my great-great-grandfather, but am having a lot of difficulty in finding any documentation on his birth or naturalisation papers.

From what I've gathered so far:

Name: Salvatore Bilardello (later changed to 'Billadello')
Birth Date: Ranging between 1883-1888
Place of Birth: Marsala
Arrival in Ellis Island: 1906

Unfortunately, I have no idea what his parents' names were..I only know information from when he married my great-great-grandmother, and his children.

Thank you in advance for any help that you're able to give!

Welcome to the forum!

Have you seen the marriage record between Salvatore and your second great grandmother? If so... Marriage records at that time usually would have listed his parents name on it as well as hers.

Also: can you tell me where he lived since arrival in 1906? Also do you have a copy of his arrival manifest? The more data you can share the better we can direct you.

Finding the naturalization papers is going to be the important key... Because you need to ensure that he naturalized after the birth of your ancestor or never naturalized at all.
James
http://www.yourfamilybible.com
Professional Genealogy Services

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”