Help reading an Ellis island ship manifest!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Gaia

Help reading an Ellis island ship manifest!

Post by Gaia »

Hello everybody, I need a little help to fully understand an Ellis island ship manifest, about my great-great-grandfather Angelo Maniago: he arrived in New York in 1914 and he was going to Toronto, to his brother in law, but there is a word that I can't read and, I guess, it's the name of the exact place he was going to, and that eventually reached as far as I know... But he never came back to told his family what happened next! Anyone could help me? Thanks!!

line number: 32
Name: Angelo Maniago
Cause of detention: b-i-l (brother in law)
Disposition: R.R. to b-i-l Ant(onio) Gnesuta (he actually had a brother in law with that name), Toronto... but what is the word written just before "Toronto"? Can be the name of a place in or around Toronto in early 1900's?

here is also the link: http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1
Attachments
Angelo Maniago.PNG
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help reading an Ellis island ship manifest!

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the link to the original manifest page. (When you go to the Detained List at Liberty Ellis... move backward through the images until you come to 286 if this link does not work.)

The original destination appears to read "brother-in-law, Antonio Gnesuta, Toronto, Ont, 96 VanAuley St.
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

T.
Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Thank you SO MUCH Tessa!! It's so touching to discover where your greatgreatgrandfather went when he first arrived in Toronto...Thanks!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Happy to help! :-D

T.