Italian citizenship question, Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kalmetam

Italian citizenship question, Naturalization

Postby kalmetam » 15 Apr 2016, 21:35

I am investigating the possibility of acquiring Italian citizenship, especially since I am considering moving to Italy after I graduate college. I also speak fluent Italian, have lived in Italy for short periods (6 months), and identify to a strong degree with the Italian culture. However, I hit a road block.

Both of my paternal grandparents were born in Italy. My grandfather was born in Zara in 1921 (which is now part of Croatia, but Italy when he was born) and he even served in the Italian Army. My grandmother on the other hand was born in Sicily in 1930. My father was born in the United States in 1958. However, according to Ancestry.com, my grandmother was naturalized in 1948 and my grandfather was naturalized in 1957 (both as US citizens), 9 months before the birth of my father.

Because of this is looks as if I am not eligible for citizenship. I was wondering if anyone else has a story similar to mine and can give advice and if anyone knows of any ways around this requirement.

Thanks,
Mike

mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian citizenship question, Naturalization

Postby mler » 17 Apr 2016, 16:35

There really is no way around this. In order for your grandparents to have been able to pass Italian citizenship to your father, they would have had to be Italian citizens at the time of his birth (apparently not the case).

Two thoughts:

Is there a possibility through your mother's line even though you may have to go back more generations?

Since your grandparents were once Italian citizens, you can naturalize after a three-year residency period. Employment options may be limited, however.

kalmetam

Postby kalmetam » 17 Apr 2016, 23:59

My mother is not Italian at all so it would not work with her unfortunately.

Yes! I read that as well online but then when I brought it up to the lady at the consulate she did not know what I was talking about. Maybe she just didn't know or wanted to intentionally confuse me? You're positive about this rule right?

What I plan on doing in this case is pursuing graduate school in Italy (I'm still in undergrad right now) and from that I don't think it'll be hard to stay in Italy for at least 3 years (if I end in only 1 or 2 years, I can almost definitely find a job through the school or through one of my 100 cousins who still live in Italy)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 18 Apr 2016, 02:49

I am positive. This is an expedited naturalization process.

The consular official may not be aware of this aspect of Italian citizenship law. There are some stipulations, and it's important to state your intention and obtain the appropriate permesso immediately so that the clock can began ticking. May I suggest that you post your question at http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

Two of the moderators, bbcwatcher and malcolm, are very knowledgeable about citizenship law, and I'm certain they can help you.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”