Name change issues

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pqitln

Name change issues

Postby pqitln » 08 Jun 2016, 21:59

Im currently working on my dual American / Italian citizenship.

My parents were both born in Italy with Italian names. They were married in Italy with their Italian names.

When my dad came to America, he changed his name from his Italian name to an American name.

I was born in the USA. On my birth certificate, it has my mothers Italian name BUT my dads, American name.

The consulate initially told me I needed to change both my dads last name to his original Italian last name as well as change MY last name. I found a clarification of the Italian law and the Italian consulate is now indicating that I still need to change my dads last name to his original Italian last name.

If I change my dads name on my birth certificate to his original Italian name and my name reflects his American name is this sufficient? Its been extremely difficult to get a straight answer from the consulate.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Im more than willing to change my dad's name on my birth certificate if this ends the requirements

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Name change issues

Postby suanj » 09 Jun 2016, 07:07

I don't know if it can help, and I am unsure,
but I remember that in some similar case, a your affidavit "one and the same" (your dad with american name is one and the same your dad with italian name) could be helpful..
Regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

pqitln

Postby pqitln » 09 Jun 2016, 14:50

suanj: thanks. Is the "one and same" an American or Italian document? Is there a template that i can find somewhere?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Jun 2016, 16:47

it is US document, a affidavit, a lawyer give you the right advice and explanation abt that..
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”