Dual Citizenship Question: Name Issue of Non-Italian Ancestor

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
miucci

Dual Citizenship Question: Name Issue of Non-Italian Ancestor

Postby miucci » 20 Jun 2016, 14:47

Hello All,

I am just beginning my long quest towards requesting citizenship via jus sanguinis.

My great-grandfather, Alterio, immigrated and married my great-grandmother "Matilda". I am eligible through Alterio since he and Matilda had my grandfather, Edward, before he renounced/naturalized. My problem is that Matilda is a complicated case...

Her birth record has her name as "Lillie Elizabeth".. this is the only record with that name. Additionally, it has her birthday as 7/20/1904 whereas everything else she has 7/21/1904. To complicate matters even further, her birth father (and mothers husband) died when she was little.. and when her mother remarried she unofficially assumed her step-fathers last name. THANKFULLY her birth last name (Bickel) is on her marriage license and birth certificate of my grandfather.

I am awaiting official marriage & death certificates to verify, but the SSDI shows her as Matilda at the time of her passing. Additionally, my great-grandfather's naturalization petition/approval shows her as Matilda.

Will they deny my petition because of this? Not to sound mean to my late great-grandmother... but she's not important in this process! Her husband is the one I'm claiming citizenship through! And why would they let her use a not legal name?!?!?!

mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship Question: Name Issue of Non-Italian Ancestor

Postby mler » 20 Jun 2016, 18:44

Some consulates may make things difficult, but as you correctly note, your great grandmother is in the non-Italian line and should not affect your eligibility. You shouldn't have any major problems.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship Question: Name Issue of Non-Italian Ancestor

Postby sceaminmonkey » 26 Jun 2016, 00:00

I Had to have my fathers name corrected, actually I had to have my fathers middle name added on my birth certificate and his marriage license because he never used it. I also had to correct my grandmothers death certificate. Both were not on the italian side. New york consulate is notoriously difficult though. Mler is right, if you read the post its up to the consulate so any corrections you can get done you should be proactive and get done.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”