1948 confused! can someone help to see if I qualify

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
himym

1948 confused! can someone help to see if I qualify

Postby himym » 11 Jul 2016, 22:55

Hello

Im so confused so I will get straight to the point

GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER (ITALIAN) - Born 1905
GREAT GRANDFATHER (MEXICAN) - Born 1930
GRANDMOTHER (MEXICAN) - born 1946
MOTHER (MEXICAN) - Born 1970
Me (Mexican) - Born 1988

So I am super confused, I was gutted to find out that only after 1948 can a woman pass on their nationality, however technically my grandmother only passed on her nationality when my mum was born in 1970. Is that how it works or is it to do with her birth year?? Can I still apply for citizenship to Italy??

mler
Master
Master

Re: 1948 confused! can someone help to see if I qualify

Postby mler » 15 Jul 2016, 17:35

Assuming your great great grandfather did not naturalize as a Mexican citizen before his son's birth, it appears you qualify.

inmysimpleheart

Re: 1948 confused! can someone help to see if I qualify

Postby inmysimpleheart » 14 Aug 2016, 02:49

however technically my grandmother only passed on her nationality when my mum was born in 1970. Is that how it works or is it to do with her birth year??

That is correct. Your grandmother inherited her right to Italian citizenship no matter what, because it was passed to her by her father. There were to limits, laws, or timelines regarding males passing on their citizenship.
Your grandmother would not have been able to pass on her citizenship until after 1948, as women did not have the right to pass it on until after that point. It appears this is your case, and, as the other commenter posted, as long as your great great grandfather did not naturalize (become a citizen) of Mexico before your great grandfather was born, then your great grandfather inherited Italian citizenship and could pass it down.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”