Certificates from Comune di Cantalupo Ligure and di Montacuto

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rlwt

Certificates from Comune di Cantalupo Ligure and di Montacuto

Postby rlwt » 15 Jul 2016, 22:03

Hi all, I am new on the forum and trying to gather as much information as possible for my father who is applying for citizenship in Italy through his grandfather. I have several questions that I hope you can help with! I've bolded the actual questions below:

My dad needs to get a hold of his grandparents' birth and marriage certificates. I have his grandparents' names, dates of birth, date of marriage, and locations of birth (Cantalupo Ligure and Montacuto in Alessandria Province). I do not have any of their parents' names aside from the last names. I am trying to figure out what the best way of acquiring documents from these communes would be and whether I should try contacting them via email or phone first before sending them a document in the mail. I was able to find an email for each of them on their websites, however the Cantalupo Ligure email did not work and my experience with Italy in the past was that email might not receive a response. I can understand Italian but speak very little (it has been 10 years!) and my husband can speak Spanish fluently which is helpful for communication but might sound odd to the Italians.

I was also wondering what I should send them if I mail them for the information. For instance, do I need to include a copy of my father's ID as I read elsewhere? I have a polite letter in correct Italian that I can send requesting the documents along with a form that would have all necessary information filled out for them in Italian that I found on a US government website explaining how to get a hold of Italian vital records. Do I need to send them a stamped return envelope with my dad's address and should I send any money or just wait to see if I hear from them?

Finally, I'm trying to figure out what specific form of each document I will need for applying for citizenship. There's the certificato di nascita and the certificato matrimonio and I assume I want the full versions of each. Is there something specific I should include in my request to make sure I receive the correct documents for applying for citizenship?

Thank you very much!

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Certificates from Comune di Cantalupo Ligure and di Montacuto

Postby kencwalker » 22 Jul 2016, 03:56

Hello rlwt,
Welcome to IG forum.
I have just started the process of contacting my GGF's comune via email (and will try snail mail if I don't get a response). Others can comment about about their success with this process.

There are a few message threads on this forum with details. Check these out:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... logy/37151
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... logy/37358
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/language/37393

Use the search function to find other examples.

I think the comune can find the necessary records from your grandparents' names, dates of birth, date of marriage, and locations (the records are ordered by date). The FamilySearch site has films for Cantalupo Ligure. You would have to order and view a LDS Family History Center.

Also, Good luck,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 24 Jul 2016, 04:32

For dual citizenship purposes you will need a certified copy of the records.
You must write directly to the comune of birth to request these records.
Yes, you will need to include a photo ID and an email address - "snail mail" requests are recommended.
Write in Italian and do not send money in your request.
A self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope can be included as a courtesy. :-)

Addresses:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Umberto I, 1
15060 Cantalupo Ligure (AL)
ITALY

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Capoluogo, 1
15050 Montacuto (AL)
ITALY

T.

R78

Postby R78 » 02 Aug 2016, 16:24

Should the photo ID be the requester's ID or the ID of the person whose documents are being requested?

I'm also trying to obtain a certified estratto di nascita from my great grandfather's commune. Some years ago, I enquired and was sent a pdf of the estratto by a really helpful guy who unfortunately has since passed away. At the time, he offered to mail the original, but I didn't need it as wasn't thinking of applying for citizenship recognition then. His replacement hasn't replied to my email in two weeks. Could it be that I need to send a photo ID, and if so,whose? I have nothing that I could send for my great grandfather, but could obviously send my own.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 04 Aug 2016, 19:34

Your ID - to identify who is requesting the document :-)

T.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 06 Aug 2016, 16:26

What years are you talking about for records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”