Effective of WWII and Public Employment on JS Process?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Effective of WWII and Public Employment on JS Process?

Postby wcladley » 16 Jul 2016, 07:51

Hi All,

I recently discovered the possibility of citizen through JS and did some research to discover, provisionally, that I qualify as follows: GGF (b. in Sicily 1884, naturalized in US 1934)->GF (b. 1923, never renounced)->F (never renounced)-Me. My only question is as follows: My grandfather served in the Navy in WWII and then worked as a public employee (school teacher) and my father was also professor at a state university. The Italian embassy states that citizenship can be lost if:

any Italian citizen who voluntarily enlists in the armed forces of a foreign government or accepts a government post with a foreign State, despite express prohibition by Italian law; any Italian citizen who has served during a state of war with a foreign country, or held a government post or acquired citizenship in that State

On the one hand, it seems like a lot of people who have done this have had ancestors who fought in WWII, but I have found no definitive answer on how this affects eligibility. I have seen nothing on whether Italy considers working in a public school or university a "government post with a foreign state."

I am hoping to get a bit clarity on this before investing the time and money into getting all of my docs in order.

Thanks to anyone who could provide some guidance.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”