possible routes to Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ginalolo

possible routes to Italian citizenship

Postby ginalolo » 25 Jul 2016, 03:24

Hi all,
I've started to become serious about obtaining my Italian citizenship lately and have been reading the forums. I am new to this process so I was hoping someone here could give me some advice.

A little background. Both of my paternal grandparents were born in Italy and came to the US in the 1920s. My dad was born in the US but unfortunately my grandfather already naturalized as an American citizen when my dad was born in 1930. My grandmother did not become an American citizen until 1940 but I understand that there is that pesky 1948 rule so it means that she didn't pass her citizenship to my dad.

As I see it I have 2 options. I could hire the lawyer that many have hired, Luigi and initiate a court case to earn my citizenship. The other option is that I am engaged to be married to a man that qualifies through his grandfather...his descent is fully paternal and qualifies without any issues.

My question is...does anyone have any advice as to what would be faster? If I marry an Italian citizen it is my understanding that after 3 years I can get it. I would love to get it through my own family right but do you think that the court case will take about 3 years anyway and be more expensive? Any advice would be much appreciated. My dad had me later in life so even though I'm in my 30s I am subject to that 1948 rule because I have older parents.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”