Citizenship via 1948 or marriage?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ginalolo

Citizenship via 1948 or marriage?

Postby ginalolo » 26 Jul 2016, 05:20

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice for me. I really want to get Italian citizenship and as I see it I have two options.

1. 1948 - both of my paternal grandparents were born in Italy and emigrated to the US in their 20s. Unfortunately for me, my grandfather naturalized as an American citizen before my dad was born. My grandmother was still an Italian citizen when my dad was born but he was born in 1930 - well before 1948.

2. I am currently engaged to be married to someone who qualifies for citizenship through his grandfather. It is my understanding that you can acquire citizenship if you are married for 3 years.

My question is, would it be worthwhile to pursue a case with Luigi Paiano right now? I know it's not cheap and it seems like it can take up to 3 years this way too. Or maybe I should wait until I've been married for 3 years. Does anyone have any experience with the marriage route? I appreciate any thoughts!

mler
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship via 1948 or marriage?

Postby mler » 28 Jul 2016, 17:43

It is a choice between time and cost.

A 1948 case would likely move fairly quickly, but it would also be more costly. You can contact one of the lawyers who handle such claims and ask for a realistic time frame and approximate costs.

If your fiancé applies for citizenship and is recognized, you can apply after you have been married for two years. If you go this route, the cost would be less, but the time would likely be considerably longer. It may take a while for your fiancé to gather necessary documents and to schedule an appointment. A two- to three-year wait is not unrealistic at most consulates. Then you would have to wait two years before you can apply.

There is another difference as well. If you apply through a 1948 case, your citizenship is recognized from your date of birth. If you apply through your husband, you will be a naturalized Italian citizen, which takes effect on the date your naturalization is complete. Ultimately, you will be a citizen either way, but if you prefer to be acknowledged as a natural-born Italian citizen, the 1948 route is the way to go.

ginalolo

Re: Citizenship via 1948 or marriage?

Postby ginalolo » 29 Jul 2016, 06:39

Thank you so much for the reply! I really appreciate it. I am going to email the attorney and ask the questions you suggested. There is definitely a part of me that would be happy to have my citizenship recognized through my own family. It is something my father wanted to do himself before he passed so I would feel proud to be able to get it through our family. Again, thank you for the advice.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”