Translation on Domenica Gulino...please

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Translation on Domenica Gulino...please

Postby Biff83 » 16 Aug 2016, 03:48

Tough one to read. What I'm seeing. Request some others to check for accuracy and correct if necessary.

On 10 April 1866 or 1876 in the town hall of Castelbuono appeared Antonina Mancuso, daughter of the deceased Antonio, 40, a midiwife, who stated that a female child was born yesterday from Signora Nunzia Cicero, 26, daughter of the deceased Andrea, and wife of (the father), Pasquale Gulino, 28, a farmer, son of Maestro Lucio, given the name Domenica Gulino.

I'm guessing that his profession as a "villico" or a farmer has a different connotation than "contadino" and indicates someone who owns a significant piece of farm property. Is anyone familiar with the difference between the two terms?

I believe the document states where the child was born but cannot decipher. Also the terms Signora and Maestro show the family was respected in the town.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

mmogno
Elite
Elite

Postby mmogno » 16 Aug 2016, 10:17

Biff83 wrote:On 10 April 1866
I believe the document states where the child was born but cannot decipher
"nella casa di loro abitazione posta in questo comune"

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 16 Aug 2016, 10:20

The year is 1866 and Domenica was born on 10 (dieci) April 1966 at 6 am, the same day that the birth was registered.

Villico (villici): They were landless poor peasants who lived in crude buildings with their families, located outside of the village center, near the fields they tended. Once a year, they would present themselves to the village piazza to seek a contract for the next growing season. They were sometimes granted the same plot of land but, at other times, were given a plot of land kilometers away. In the absence of supervision, they didn't do anything to improve the land. They were basically temporary laborers who exploited the land, who sowed on nearby plots which had been designated to remain fallow, and who emphasized quantity over quality. (Copies from another forum)

Just to add: I am understanding that the title Maestro was given to the child's grandfather and that his occupation is not given. He was possibly a craftsman of some sort - a master in his craft? The child's father was the villico.

Angela

Athena
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athena » 18 Aug 2016, 00:33

It doesn's say her parents name?

Athena
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athena » 18 Aug 2016, 00:34