Five Francesca Acestas?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Five Francesca Acestas?

Postby sacesta » 17 Aug 2016, 05:04

As some of you who have been reading my posts know, it turns out that my 3rd great grandfather along paternal lines, Benedetto Aceste, was a foundling born in 1802. I believe he was given the surname of the mythical Sicilian king known as Acestes, who figures prominently in Book V of Virgil's Aeneid. Unfortunately, a genealogical dead-end for me. I thought I would search the microfilm for indices of some earlier volumes of records of baptism. The name Aceste does not seem to occur in any of the earlier records, except for this odd occurrence of 5 Francesca Acestas in the index of Volume 13 which covers a period from 1752-1768.

My question is simply - Do you read the surnames of these 5 individuals as Acesta. The name Avila is also associated with Calatafimi and I suppose it's possible that these five persons could all be Avilas, but it looks more like Acesta to me.

In any case, I will locate these records on a future visit to the FHC. I'd like to know who these people are, why there are five of them within a 16 year period, when there seem to be no others with the same surname anywhere else in the nearby records.

Steve

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Re: Five Francesca Acestas?

Postby sacesta » 17 Aug 2016, 12:05

Somehow, I managed to post this in the wrong forum. Could one of the moderators please place this in the Italian translation forum?
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 18 Aug 2016, 16:12

Steve
I honestly think the surname in this index is Avila and not Aceste. What you think is an S in the first entry on the left looks to me like the i in Milazzo in the next to the last entry in the right column. There seems to be no consistency in how the letter "ell" is written in the entries. In the top entry right column, it loos like "la" to me, or the same as those letters are written in Milazzo (last entry in the right column). Also the only "t" we seem to have is the one in Sciortino, which is hardly noticeable as a "t." I just know that's the surname. Also even look at the two letters "s" in the name in the entry below the first one on the left. They are formed very differently from what you think is an S in the first entry on the left. I think the dots for the letter i are just incorporated into the letter ells. I think you're going on a wild goose chase with this one. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will offer you feedback as well. Also, don't worry that this is posted under the wrong category. Your post will still be seen.
Erudita

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Postby sacesta » 18 Aug 2016, 22:29

You make several excellent points Erudita. And the fact that I don't seen any other Acestes in the indices before 1802 leads me to think that Benedetto was the first.

I'm not terribly disappointed. In fact, I kind of like the story that Benedetto was given the surname of a prominent mythical Sicilian king. He could have fared much worse.

The associations between my surname, and the city of Calatafimi-Segesta (which was referred to in Virgil's Aeneid as Acesta were just too numerous to ignore. It was the reason I began my genealogical research. And I've learned so much in a few short months. Also, it's kind of neat that I shall be able to easily trace every Aceste I find in the records back to Benedetto.

I'm enjoying tracing other lines as well. So, I don't plan to quit my research anytime soon. :)

I just got my internet service functioning again and I have one record in particular that's a difficult read. I'll post it in a few moments.

Steve
Steve Acesta

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”