Finding Reaquisition of Italian Citizenship Documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nfanuele

Finding Reaquisition of Italian Citizenship Documents

Postby nfanuele » 23 Aug 2016, 15:39

Hi

I'm attempting to be recognized for Italian Citizinship through my paternal grandfather and great-grandfather.

My great-grandfather emigrated to the United States in 1913, leaving my grandfather, who was born in 1911 in Italy. In 1922, my great-grandfather naturalized as a US Citizen. The following year, my grandfather emigrated to the United States, acquiring US Citizenship upon arrival through his father. A few year later my great-grandfather immigrated back to Italy where he lived until he died in the 1950s. I'm assuming he reaquired Italian Citizenship, and if he did before my grandfather turned 21 (January 1932), then I will be elligible for Italian Citizenship through my grandfather.

Would I be able to obtain proof of reaquisation with the commune my great-grandfather lived in (Montemurro)? Would the contact be the Uffico dello Stato Civile? Do you know the name of the form I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Nick

James
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Finding Reaquisition of Italian Citizenship Documents

Postby James » 27 Aug 2016, 07:14

Your grandfather never renounced his Italian citizenship, did he? Therefore he passed it on to your father and thus, you.

Since your grandfather was born in Italy he was born an Italian citizen, therefore what his father later did shouldn't have affected him.

I am not 100% certain on this though, I am sure someone else can weigh in to confirm. But my gut is that this may be easier than you suspect.
James
http://www.yourfamilybible.com
Professional Genealogy Services

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 27 Aug 2016, 16:20

Actually Nick is correct. His gf received derivative naturalization the moment he set foot in the US.

I think, Nick, you will need to document when your ggf returned to Italy and that he stayed there until his death. It is unlikely that you will find "reacquisition" papers, because that is a relatively new concept. More likely, your ggf simply returned to his comune, resumed his Italian life, and was treated as an Italian citizen. There may be paperwork at his comune, but I'm not sure exactly what would constitute proof. The date he resumed residency is important.

Of greater concern, imo, is whether his reacquisition of citizenship passed on to his naturalized son. I think it will, but this is a question that should be posed to those more familiar with Italian law of the time. To this end, you may want to ask bbcwatcher at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org I don't know anyone more knowledgeable than he.

In any case, I would guess that if we apply the traditional measure of reacquisition, your ggf would have reacquired Italian citizenship automatically after three years of residency in Italy. Your gf would still have been a minor at that time.

If this approach is too complex, you may have a 1948 case through your ggm.

nfanuele

Postby nfanuele » 27 Aug 2016, 17:55

Thank you for this, its very helpful.

I posted on italiancitizenship.freeforums and received this response from cpa21:

"The working assumption is the child's citizenship follows the father's. If you can demonstrate that Giuseppe reacquired Italian citizenship before Rocco's 21st birthday then Rocco has Italian citizenship. The Italian citizenship can be passed down to his DESCENDANTS."

I don't know how knowledgable cpa21 is, so I will contact bbcwatcher for confirmation.

Thanks Again,
Nick

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”