Looking for Naturalization records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
julwebb76
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for Naturalization records

Postby julwebb76 » 24 Aug 2016, 17:04

Hello,
I am looking to see if anyone can possibly help me see if we can locate any naturalization records for my grandmother and great grandmother. I am attempting to try and get dual citizenship through my grandmother side.

my grandmother was born in italy, her father was born in italy and lived their till he passed away in either 1948 or 1949 my grandmothers mom was born in dayton ohio (but her parents Antonio DiMatteo and Giuseppina DiMatteo were both born in Italy) moved to italy when she was about 18( so wouldnt she have been born both Italian and American. American by birth in the country and Italian through her dad's blood) and married my great grandfather and lived there for approx. 20 years. However my great grandmother came to the states in 1947 with my grandmother. on the document below it states my grandmother was naturalized through her mother. i can not find any other documents to show that other than the one below. Is it possible that my grandmother would still have italian citizenship if no other documents are found and since her father was still italian and lived and passed away in italy? Also what about my great grandmother... wouldnt she have to renounce her italian citizenship since she was married and lived in italy for aprrox. 20 years? so wouldnt she still have held italian citizenship? Sorry for all the questions as i am just trying to get started with this.

The following is their information...

Giuseppina Vivirito - Grandmother
B may 5 1937 born in trabia italy and came to the states in 1947 it says she was naturalized through her mother but i have found no records so far

Rosa DiMatteo Vivirito - Great Grandmother
B october 15,1908
d January 19 or 20 1975
She was born in dayton ohio and when she was about 18 went to italy and married my great grandfather Gioacchino vivirito and lived there for approx 20 years. in 1947 she came to the states with my grandmother. My grandmother had never been to the states before this. This is the only document i have been able to find that says my grandmother was naturalized through her mom. no other legal documents. http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8361/1947.jpg

Also I am trying to see if my great grandmother rosa ever renounced her american citizenship while she lived in italy. If so when was she naturalized? Also her parents were born in italy and eventually moved to the states but i do not think they renounced their italian citizenship as they traveled back and forth to there quite often and i have not seen anything regarding that yet. her parents were giuseppina(josephine) and Antonio Di Matteo. If you need any other information please feel free to ask.
Thank you in advance for any and all help!

mler
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Naturalization records

Postby mler » 24 Aug 2016, 20:06

I may be reading this incorrectly, but it appears that you should be going through your greatgrandfather's line since he always remained an Italian citizen. He then passed his citizenship through your grandmother, who passed it down the line to you.

When your grandmother came to the US with her US citizen mother, she had Italian citizenship through her father and US citizenship through her mother. You find no naturalization records because she didn't naturalize; she obtained US citizenship at birth from her mom. I doubt very much that your ggm formally renounced her US citizenship, and she was married after the 1922 Cable Act so she did NOT automatically lose her US citizenship through marriage. That "naturalization" statement seems to be in error, perhaps written by a clerk who wanted to show your gm's US citizenship but did not know how to indicate it correctly.

I'm not totally sure about this, so you may want to post at http://www.italiancitizenship.freeformus.org
I'm certain someone there can help.

BTW, if I am correct, you would not show this document to the consulate. It would only confuse them.

julwebb76
Rookie
Rookie

Postby julwebb76 » 24 Aug 2016, 20:24

Thank you so much Mier!! I will post on that site. . also when i do this should i tell them i am doing it from my great grandfathers line?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 25 Aug 2016, 14:02

When you present your documents, you would include a summary of the citizenship line. You would emphasize that your grandmother had an Italian father who never left Italy, and an American mother (birth certificate demonstrates this).

You would NOT show immigration records since they are not needed and they state a naturalization that never happened.

According to US law at the time, your ggm never lost US citizenship. Do post on the site I noted, though, because I'm not too sure about Italian law at that time. I do think, however, that you're ok.

julwebb76
Rookie
Rookie

Postby julwebb76 » 25 Aug 2016, 15:46

great!! Thank you again Mler. I finally was able to post on the site this morning. Anxiously waiting for feedback.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”