Dual Citizenship Question (Maternal)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Dual Citizenship Question (Maternal)

Postby Pugeroni » 30 Aug 2016, 22:46

Hello! Hoping someone can help answer this question. I'm trying to figure out if I qualify for dual citizenship via Maternal Grandmother. She immigrated to the US in 1946 (married in Naples 1945) She had 2 children in Italy but when she came to the US she had my Mother in 1951.

Given this information below I'm confused as to if "children" means my Mother or children in general.
Parents who became naturalized citizens of their new country BEFORE the birth of their children lost their Italian citizenship and COULD NOT pass citizenship on to them, while parents who became naturalized AFTER the birth of their children COULD pass citizenship on to them.

Thank you!

Re: Dual Citizenship Question (Maternal)

Postby mler » 01 Sep 2016, 15:40

It means all children. In your mother's case, she was born a US citizen, and also an Italian citizen (assuming you gm did not naturalize before your mother's birth in 1951).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”