Descendants of Antonio Lo Re in Niagara Falls, NY

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
23 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Descendants of Antonio Lo Re in Niagara Falls, NY

Postby satomi » 18 Nov 2005, 23:35

Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for a nice e-mail!

Our Italian friend helped us tremendously while we were in Italy for our own family roots' search this summer. I don't wanna confuse you but "our friend" actually turned out to be our relative, not in Antonio Lore's side but in his wife Angelica Spada's side...that's what he told us after our trip to Italy. He still wanted to search his great uncle (Antonio Lore)'s descendants so we promised him that we would do research for him. I wanted to make my post simple that's why I said "My friend". Sorry about that. Now he is my husband's 3rd cousin, I will call him "our cousin"

Antonio Lore's record in Ellis Island and census are "our cousin"s ancester. I think I posted a wrong DOB. It should be 1891, not 1889. I'm not sure if day and month are correct or not. What else information do you think helpful to search for this person?

By the way, I called the Immigration and Naturalization office in Buffalo (which handle Niagara county) asking how I could get information about Italian immigrants. They said I had to send a form G639 (Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request) to Missouri office because they don't release them in Buffalo's office any more. I had them downloaded already but looks complicated to me and goverment's work always take so much time....so I wonder if it's worth trying to send them. Also I wonder what kind of info they could release. Since Antonio Lore was born and married in Italy, the only info might be death certificate. Does death certificate include helpful info for searching his address, his children and etc?

I would greatly appreciate your kind help!
Thank you so much!!

Satomi Lore
satomi

Postby VaDeb » 18 Nov 2005, 23:44

Hi Satomi,

I understand trying to keep the request simple. Appreciate that.

YES, send for the naturalization records. According to the 1930 census your Antonio was already naturalized by 1930. The INS has records for all naturalizations that occured after 1906. Request a copy of all information that they have. I wouldn't expect any vital records, but you should get a copy of his declaration of intent and naturalization and you never know what else is in that file. INS requests are free. Actually is now US Citizenship and Naturalization service.

If you check with your regional NARA branch they might also have the naturalization records. They are usually quicker than INS, but charge for the records. INS will usually reveal more records than NARA.

Do you want help in looking for the "other" antonio?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby satomi » 18 Nov 2005, 23:59

Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for a quick response!

I will send a form for records and try to find NARA branch in Niagara Falls as you recommended.

By the way, I made a mistake in a previous post. I said,

"our friend" actually turned out to be our relative, not in Antonio Lore's side but in his wife Angelica Spada's side...

Instead, I should write,

"our friend" actually turned out to be our relative, not in Antonio Lore's side but in his wife Cosimina De Sales' side.

Sorry about that. Working on family tree is very confusing to me....

I don't need any help to look for any info about OUR ANTONIO for now.

Thanks for all your help!

Satomi Lore
satomi

Postby GlobeTrotter » 20 Nov 2005, 00:20

Hi Satomi,

I'm glad to read that you've been making progress in your search. It's always exciting to be able to reach back in your ancestor's history and retrieve "lost" information. The members on this board certainly donate a lot of time and effort to help!
I would also recommend that you send a form to NARA records. I did this a couple of months ago and got a very quick response (within a couple of weeks). I was also was pleased with the thorough info I found in the documents...from arrival certificates to naturalization applications, tons of interesting info! More importantly, the staff was very friendly when I had a couple of questions on the phone or in an email. I hope you will find what you're looking for from NARA.
Just a side note...I just received a birth record of my great grandmother from Italy, and her mother's name was Felicia Lo Re. I'm not sure when Felicia was born, but she gave birth to my great grandmother in 1886 in AG, Sicily. Hmm, maybe we're related :wink: .
Best of luck to you in your search,

Mark
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Postby satomi » 20 Nov 2005, 05:28

Dear Mark,

Thanks for telling me about your exprience with NARA! I will definitely try them.

I don't know where our Lo Re people lived before Taranto. It could be Sicily...interesting! By the way, do you know which city in AG your great grandmother lived? Just curious because we went to Grotte, AG this summer for my husband's maternal family roots. After I finish this research at hand for our Italian cousin, I want to do further research before Antonio....probably after Christmas....I will let you know if I find anything!

Thanks again!

Satomi Lore
satomi

Postby GlobeTrotter » 20 Nov 2005, 06:03

Hi Satomi,

My great grandmother came from (or at least was born in) Casteltermini, AG. I couldn't find Grotte on the google map, but maybe it's not too far away.
That must have been a very rewarding experience for you and your husband to visit the town of his roots. Do you both speak Italian? Visiting a village is something I would very much like to do in the future, but I just don't know if I'd be able to communicate with the people there since I know only limited Italian. I heard that in the rural areas English is not that widespread.
Yes, please let me know if you find anything interesting. Happy researching,

Mark
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Postby satomi » 21 Nov 2005, 11:17

Dear Mark,

Grotte and Casteltermini are not far each other. Grotte is 20km north of city of Agrigento and Casteltermini is another 20km north from Grotte, I think. (Try www.tuttocitta.it)

Our trip was incredible....I feel like that was a dream. Although I researched very hard and prepared very well, I still believe we owe a lot to wonderful people we met in Italy. We don't speak Italian although I just started learning Italian after the trip. It was hard to communicate with local people. But we were lucky to find some people who speak English in advance. I found these people when I called hotels in Italy or contacted the local winery by e-mail. Sometimes we happened to find an English-speaking man in city hall who even showed us around the town and drove us to a restaurant because we didn't have a car. However, when we met a man who is possibly a relative, both of the man and we were so frustrated not understanding details of our family research because he spoke little English. We used a dictionary and a conversation book very much but it was still hard. Now we have somebody english-speaking cordinator between us, she helps our communication in detail by e-mail. If you have time, better to learn Italian!

Good Luck on your research and have an amazing trip to Italy!

Satomi Lore
satomi

Postby satomi » 30 Nov 2005, 10:43

Dear Debbie, Maria and Mark,

We just came back from Niagara Falls and we found relatives for my husband's Italian cousin! Angelo Lore whom Debbie found in phone book is him! He is great-grandson of Antonio Lore. We started exchanging information with his other family members who might know more about Antonio Lore himself. They are all very helpful.

Here's what we did in order;

1. I went to NARA in Manhattan. They are quite helpful as you guys said. But I found only 1930 census record which Debbie found. Anyway, I got a copy that was great because I couldn't print it out from internet before.

2. We went to county clerk's office in Niagara County and they were also very helpful to find info for us. We got a obituary which included a lot of info, and telephone #s of potential relatives.

3. We went to court house in Niagara County to request for Naturalization record of Antonio Lore.

4. We went to city hall in Niagara Falls and got a birth certificate of Antonio Lore's child who is proved to be dead by obituary. We couldn't get Antonio's death certificate because we didn't know the date of death. Searching seems very costly without date of death.

5. We called telephone #s which we got from county clerk's office and found relatives!

It seems to be the same result if we just called the telephone #s Debbie found for me at the beginning...but we were a little scared to call strangers without getting more information in advance. Anyway, I learned a lot and I got more interested in seaching different things!

Thank you so much for all your help and kindness!

Sincerely,
Satomi Lore

P.S.
Mark, I will search Lore roots in Sicily after Christmas...I'm getting busy with holiday stuff as everybody does...Thanks anyway!
satomi

Previous

23 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship