Ancestor's birth certificate received...but in FRENCH!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Ancestor's birth certificate received...but in FRENCH!

Postby GlobeTrotter » 19 Nov 2005, 12:58

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember me from my research a couple of months ago. Well, I have some good news...I just received a birth record from my ancestor in Italy (from Casteltermini, AG, Sicily). I was entirely pleased to find this in the mail today, but when I opened it I was a bit confused because I found the document to be printed in French! 8O Is there a specific reason for this? Maybe French is widely spoken in Agrigento?
I have an interesting situation though. To apply for dual citizenship, all documents (except those from Italy) need to be translated into Italian. Well, this one is from Italy, but it's in French. Would my consulate need to have it translated when they send the application to Italy to process?
Also, the birth record states the mother and father of my direct ancestor (Maria Pellitteri), so I know a bit more about my heritage. The father was Antonino Pellitteri and the mother was Felicia Lo Re. However, is the surname Lo Re an Italian or French surname? I wasn't sure...
I'd appreciate any help. An enormous thank you to those who have helped me to get where am! :D

Mark
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ancestor's birth certificate received...but in FREN

Postby suanj » 19 Nov 2005, 14:15

No this is the certificate in all languages as recognized and decided by european law about italian citizenship request... don't worry... the "Extrait de l'act de naissance " is Estratto dell'atto di nascita very necessary and important and all data are in italian and also the signature etc... in back birthact are all explanations... suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby GlobeTrotter » 20 Nov 2005, 00:26

Hi suanj,

Thank you for that information. I am very relieved now! :)
Just a small question...is there a way I can reach back even further in time and discover more about my ancestor's? I know now that Antonino Pellitteri and Felicia Lo Re gave birth to my great-grandmother (Maria Pellitteri) in Casteltermini, AG, Sicily on 8/9/1886. Is there a way I can find out where Antonino and Felicia are from? It doesn't mention that on the birth record from Maria Pellitteri.
Thank you for the help,

Mark
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 20 Nov 2005, 03:06

GlobeTrotter wrote:Hi suanj,

Thank you for that information. I am very relieved now! :)
Just a small question...is there a way I can reach back even further in time and discover more about my ancestor's? I know now that Antonino Pellitteri and Felicia Lo Re gave birth to my great-grandmother (Maria Pellitteri) in Casteltermini, AG, Sicily on 8/9/1886. Is there a way I can find out where Antonino and Felicia are from? It doesn't mention that on the birth record from Maria Pellitteri.
Thank you for the help,

Mark

Hi Mark, yes is possible, but with 2 steps.. you must see the microfilm of Casteltermini in LDS http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
are the civil records, so you find the marriage act of Maria's relatives.. in the Marriage act are the birthplace of spouses... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby GlobeTrotter » 20 Nov 2005, 03:54

Thank you suanj. I also found out that there is a FHC here in my city. This will make it much easier to view microfilms. Thanks again,

Mark
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 20 Nov 2005, 11:21

GlobeTrotter wrote:Thank you suanj. I also found out that there is a FHC here in my city. This will make it much easier to view microfilms. Thanks again,

Mark

:wink: suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship