Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Postby nuccia » 22 Nov 2005, 06:02

I'm looking for my maternal great grand parents Giovanni Polito and Vincenza Macchione.They appear to have lived in Trindad Colorado in 1910 -1914 but my great grand mother went back to Malito Cosenza Italy where she raised her children. I know nothing of either of them before this and nothing about Giovanni's death or remaining American family(nieces, newphews).
My dad's side of the family is a mystery..My Grandmother, Caterina Fuda, married a man with the last name of Angilletta who died. They had one child. As was the custom, his brother Bruno (or Francesco Bruno born appr. 1896, died Jan 22, 1989) married her and had six more children (including my father).They lived in Locri, Reggio Calabria. I don't know if my grandmother used her married name when she married civally in the second marriage or how to go back any further. None of my fathers family remembers anything...Can anyone help?

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Postby mfjp » 22 Nov 2005, 08:27

nuccia wrote:I'm looking for my maternal great grand parents Giovanni Polito and Vincenza Macchione.

Here is Vincenza's boat record. It shows that her father in Italy is Lorenzo. This record shows that she would be joining her husband Giovanni already in the USA.

First Name: Vincenza
Last Name: Macchioni
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Malito, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan 23, 1908
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Fredrich der Grosse
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0018

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0164%2ETIF
-------------------------
Civil Registration film of Cosenza, Malito can be researched at a Family History Center Years 1910-1810

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
------------------------
Draft Record of John Polito, Sept., 1918
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/920/draft0jw.gif

Name: John Polito
City: Not Stated
County: Las Animas
State: Colorado
Birth Date: 8 Jun 1885
Race: White
Roll: 1561836
---------------------------------
Giovanni's Boat Record
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2417100352
First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Politi
Ethnicity: Italy, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Malito
Date of Arrival: Jun 15, 1905
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Roma
Manifest Line Number: 0027

Would be joining his B-i-L Raffaele Naccarato in New York... if we can find Raffaele's manifest it may show who he was married to...
-----------------------------
So Giovanni stayed behind in the USA? If so, how long? There is a 1920 census record of a John Politi, married, living as a boarder...with Frank Caputo, his wife Rosie and son's Joe and Augustine.
Name: John Polito
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Segundo, Las Animas, Colorado
Home owned: Rent
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1905
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 669

I can post this census record if you think it could be him.
mfjp

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 22 Nov 2005, 23:42

Thank you so much for all the info!!!Yes, this is John...I spoke to my mother and she recollects some of the info passed down by her deceased mother(Erminia POLITO )who went back to Italy with her mother and never saw her dad again. John stayed in the US until his death which was????? Raffeale Naccarato was in fact a relative of Vincenzas(?)I would appreciate any more information and the census report.
Thanks again.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 23 Nov 2005, 00:26

My dad's side of the family is a mystery..My Grandmother, Caterina Fuda, married a man with the last name of Angilletta who died.

But did they ever travel to the USA? If so, any details?
-----------------------
I just read your reply! I will be back later on the forum with further information... should look for the 1910 census record...
-----------------------

The 1920 Census record

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/6662/1920cen5hf.gif
-----------------------
The 1930 Census record

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/5161/19301ca.jpg
-----------------------
Looking forward to Wednesday's snowstorm? :cry: :wink:
mfjp

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 23 Nov 2005, 01:37

NO, My dads family still live in Locri. My father, and his Brother came to Canada (dad came in 1957 on board the constitution and his brother and wife, and 1 child were already here). Caterina Fuda could have been from Mammola(?)RC and Nicodemo(?)may have been her first husbands mame.Their daughter, is still alive in Reggio Calabria..does this help....PS...I can't find Lorenzo Macchioni now although I may have found his grandfather..sorry, this is very new to me!!!

Thanks for everything!!!

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 23 Nov 2005, 04:30

nuccia wrote:Ps...I can't find Lorenzo Macchioni now alth I may have found his grandfather..sorry, this is very new to me!!!Thanks for everuthing!!!

Hi, not sure what you mean when you say you can't find Lorenzo... Lorenzo (Vincenza's father) was still in Italy in 1908. His name is listed in section 11 of the manifest I linked above.

So, about Erminia... she was born in the USA? I will be looking for a 1910 census record... and Johns death information. By any chance, do you know where he is buried? Seems like he stayed in the same State.

Can you tell me about your Dad's trip on the Constitution? What route did he take? Just curious. My father also came to Canada in 1957. Couldn't find work (or they just wouldn't hire him...) and ended up working near North Dakota and Manitoba...

There's a battle going on here for the computer... look forward to hearing from you.

mfjp :P

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 23 Nov 2005, 05:06

Erminia Teresa Polito was born on Mar 30, 1912 in Trinidad Corado. She was baptized by Giuseppe Naccarato and Teresa Pettine on July 14, 1913 in Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Trinidad Colorado...I am named after her name is .On Feb 16, 1930 she married Ernesto Salvati in Malito, Cosenza.They moved to the United States (Yonkers, Westchester County) and died on Oct. 12, 1974. Her brother, Antonio, was also born in Trindad in 1910. I assume John is buried in Trinidad...but I'm not certain. It seems many of the Naccartos are buried there...I only started looking recently for my daughters school project so I haven't uncovered much but I think I've become tooo fixated with this..my sister is now also trying to uncover things..
As for my father, he left from Naples to Genoa to NewYork..then he took a train to Fort Erie(?)and on to Toronto Canada.He was about 25 (born 1932). We are still here today.
If I can help u in any way please let me know..I appreciate what you've done so far. You can PM me as well.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 23 Nov 2005, 22:23

nuccia wrote:I only started looking recently for my daughters school project so i haven't uncovered much but I think I've become tooo fixated with this..my sister is now also trying to uncover things..

Always best to research with someone else...

Wonderful that your daughter and sister are also involved... keep one notebook handy - take notes.. now that Christmas is coming.. this would be a great time to collect notes from aunts and uncles especially when you all get together...

I made my kids incorporate their ancestors in school projects... even with the "Aw come-on Mom.... " attitude... but then just a couple of years later they were asking more questions... I hope that they will continue to research from where I last left off...

My dear cousin was the only person in my family who was into the genealogy thing... 3 years ago we teamed up together, ordered film... and 3 years later... I am still enjoying this...

Research Aids

www.ellisisland.org (free database site) registration is free. Search ship records - passenger surnames are badly transcribed... don’t forget to click the previous or next buttons when you get to your manifest page... some manifests are 2 pgs.

www.castlegardens.org Data only site, the names are better transcribed...

www.familysearch.org (site is down as I type... probably for maintenance?)

www.stevemorse.org Excellent site for locating ship records (manifests) and census records... Dr. Steve Morse and his team are wonderful!!

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivi ... 802_e.html (Canadian site- yes...boring)

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/cerca.html (information about Italian towns or cities here- maps, weather ... other... excellent site)
---------------
Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center By Trish
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581
-----------------------------
I research at the Famiy History Center near the Science Center.. though there are other places in Toronto where research film can be ordered and researched... even Libraries (phone first and check)... I’m not too far from Yorkdale... :wink: I can tell you... when we viewed our first ancestral document... we (3) were speechless... If you do decide to order film (you have to do this in person and then wait a few weeks $5.00+- per roll for one month)... do bring your mother or father with you... I brought my aunt with me and she loved seeing the images.

More to follow...
Maria

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 23 Nov 2005, 23:13

My dad's side of the family is a mystery..My Grandmother, Caterina Fuda, married a man with the last name of Angilletta who died. They had one child. As was the custom, his brother Bruno (or Francesco Bruno born appr. 1896, died Jan 22, 1989) married her and had six more children (including my father).

Not sure if this 16 year old is the same Francesco Bruno Angilletta you wrote about, the year of birth is very close... Any Rocco’s in your family?? Father in Italy would be Rocco.

First Name: Francesco (born about 1897)
Last Name: Angilletta
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Grotteria, Reggio
Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1913
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Berlin
Manifest Line Number: 0010

page 1
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0792%2ETIF

page 2

----------------------------------

Other manifests of interest...
These records show 2 young men, a Fuda and an Angilletti on their way to Fort Erie, Ontario. They are listed as non landed immigrants (usually the case when their journey hasn’t ended... and off to Canada) It seems like they were both from Grotteria, RC

Rocco Vincenzo Fuda age 18 - Father in Italy is Natale. Rocco would be joining his cousin Vincenzo Fuda? in Fort Erie, ON
Cosimo Angilletti age 17 - Father in Italy is Domenico, joining cousin Domenico Commisso in Fort Erie, ON

First Name: Cosimo
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Non Immigrant Alien
Date of Arrival: Mar 04, 1909
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0187%2ETIF
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 532150048&

mfjp

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 24 Nov 2005, 03:13

mfjp wrote:
My dad's side of the family is a mystery..My Grandmother, Caterina Fuda, married a man with the last name of Angilletta who died. They had one child. As was the custom, his brother Bruno (or Francesco Bruno born appr. 1896, died Jan 22, 1989) married her and had six more children (including my father).

Not sure if this 16 year old is the same Francesco Bruno Angilletta you wrote about, the year of birth is very close... Any Rocco’s in your family?? Father in Italy would be Rocco.

First Name: Francesco (born about 1897)
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Grotteria, Reggio
Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1913
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Berlin
Manifest Line Number: 0010

page 1

page 2

----------------------------------

Other manifests of interest...
These records show 2 young men, a Fuda and an Angilletti on their way to Fort Erie, Ontario. They are listed as non landed immigrants (usually the case when their journey hasn’t ended... and off to Canada) It seems like they were both from Grotteria, RC

Rocco Vincenzo Fuda age 18 - Father in Italy is Natale. Rocco would be joining his cousin Vincenzo Fuda? in Fort Erie, ON
Cosimo Angilletti age 17 - Father in Italy is Domenico, joining cousin Domenico Commisso in Fort Erie, ON

First Name: Cosimo
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Non Immigrant Alien
Date of Arrival: Mar 04, 1909
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0187%2ETIF
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 532150048&

mfjp

Now tha mfjp found that your ancestors were from Grotteria, province of Reggio Calabria contact the civil record office to find their vital records

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Via Palermo, 1
89043 Grotteria (RC)
Italy

or

Archivio di Stato
Via Lia Casalotto
89100 Reggio Calabria
Italy

I hope it helps, bye ricbru

89043 Grotteria (RC) -

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 24 Nov 2005, 03:39

Hi ricbru, saluti!!

I'm not 100% sure that these are her paesano's...

They are just "people of interest" for now... you never know!

We look forward to her reply.

Hope all is well in Trento,
ciao, Maria :P

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 24 Nov 2005, 04:23

hi everyone...they seem to be cousins...we are checking out websites and manifests and have noticed other familiar names travelling together...its overwelming!The towns of Mammola and Grotteria are definetly familiar and I will keep you posted!Thanks for all the help and support!!!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 24 Nov 2005, 16:17

I looked over Giuseppe Politos manifests..found he travelled with a younger man Pietro Naccarto who was going to Colorado to meet his father, Raffaele..John's brother-in-law, I assume. I guess Raffaele's wife was John's sister..any ideas about what to do next? Can't follow Angilletta/Fuda's...they all seem related to each other...could they have been cousins way back?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 25 Nov 2005, 07:23

Hi Erminia,

I am looking for Raffaele's manifest... Ellis Island manifests begin from 1892 and end at 1924.

Anything prior could either be a Castle Garden manifest or from another port.

It would also be nice if a 1910 census record could be located for Giovanni and Vincenza Polito.

maria

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 25 Nov 2005, 08:29

Thanks Maria..I appreciate that.

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to follow the Angillettas...all the names and years are similiar but I don't think they are the people I'm looking for. They are "cousins" to my father and I have located an uncle of dad's who died in Pittsburg..so there are still relatives out there but the Angillettas and Fudas connect way back with the same names..this is why I assume they were related prior to 1806(?). I'm still looking though.

I have found listings for my first cousins in Italy through one of the links...is there a way of finding out if they email without actually having to call them? I'm not concerned about the cost as much as I am about the time differences and our schedules...

Look foward to hearing from you and I've posted the name of this site on my emails to family and friends who may be interested in locating someone..

Just an FYI..I now see why its so difficult to find relatives..we all change our names at one time or another including myself to make it easier for people to pronounce them and suddenly, we forget or lose a piece of ourselves..That's probably the first good point my husband has made in 15 years!!!
Erminia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”