Anthony Ross of Niagara Falls - Help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
eareid

Anthony Ross of Niagara Falls - Help

Postby eareid » 28 Dec 2005, 23:58

I am trying to find the origins of my great-grandparents Anthony and Rose (Scorca) Ross of Niagara Falls, NY. I believe they came from Calabria around 1880. Antonio had bright red hair which likely accounts for the name Ross being used in the US. He lived and owned a bakery on Pierce Avenue for many years and died between 1915 and 1920. I am looking for any connection I can find that will help me trace back to his birthplace in Italy.

melaniehope

Re: Anthony Ross of Niagara Falls - Help

Postby melaniehope » 18 Sep 2011, 03:45

I am also trying to find out where my ancestors are from. According to the 1990 Census, my great-great-grandfather, Joseph Crogan, and his brother, Carman, and their families lived next door to Anthony and Rose Ross. The brothers migrated from Italy in 1880 and Joseph's family came later (around 1889). I am told that they changed their name from Crogano to hide their Italian ancestry. Have you had any luck finding out where Anthony and Rose migrated from in Italy?

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 18 Sep 2011, 06:08

If your ancestors were speaking the Italian language or English with an Italian accent, I don't think they could have hidden their Italian ancestry by dropping a vowel from the sur name. They must have had another reason for doing this.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 18 Sep 2011, 08:40

In the local dialects I have noticed that the final vowel of a word is often dropped in speech. This could account for the 'name change'.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 18 Sep 2011, 11:13

melaniehope wrote:I am also trying to find out where my ancestors are from. According to the 1990 Census, my great-great-grandfather, Joseph Crogan, and his brother, Carman, and their families lived next door to Anthony and Rose Ross. The brothers migrated from Italy in 1880 and Joseph's family came later (around 1889). I am told that they changed their name from Crogano to hide their Italian ancestry. Have you had any luck finding out where Anthony and Rose migrated from in Italy?

Hi,
I am pretty sure that the italian spelling surname was CROGNALE and not Crogano( not exist this surname in Italy) and I am pretty sure also that your ancestors birth area was Abruzzo region....
just my suggestion...
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

melaniehope

Postby melaniehope » 18 Sep 2011, 23:04

Thanks to all for getting back to me. I've search Ellis Island and Castle Garden for immigration records but have still not found anything. My grandparents may have come through Canada since Carman's wife is from there and both families had a child born there (around 1889). This is about the same time Joseph's family immigrated. Does anyone know where I can find records of immigration through Canada?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”