Italian birth record for citizenship jure sanguinis

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Italian birth record for citizenship jure sanguinis

Post by nicedream »

I am seeking the birth record of my great grandfather to use to apply for Italian citizensip jure sanguinis. Is the form letter located at http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp acceptable for this?

The only reason I ask is because the form letter mentions "in carta libra", which seems to mean "On non-legal paper". Will this certificate be acceptable, or should I leave this phrase out?

Thanks in adance.
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian birth record for citizenship jure sanguinis

Post by italy50 »

The form letter does not have to be legal, as it`s only a request for the actual birth record. You can leave it out if you wish.

Italy doesn`t issue birth certificates, like the US.
Italy issues an "Estratto di Nascita" ( or similiar words), which means an extract of the birth record, with the necessary information extracted from the birth certificate (name, date of birth, parents names, etc).

The Estratto is the legal recognized birth record, as far as the Consulates are concerned, and will have a "stamp" of the comune, and signed by the Stato Civile

Welcome to the forums
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

Thanks for your help. 8)
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

You`re very welcome. :) I am going through the same thing as you. I am still awaiting word, and i submitted my documents last Feb. But, the Chicago Consulate is perhaps slower than the others. :(
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

italy50 wrote:You`re very welcome. :) I am going through the same thing as you. I am still awaiting word, and i submitted my documents last Feb. But, the Chicago Consulate is perhaps slower than the others. :(
Wow, almost a year!? Did you make any follow up calls?
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Yes I did. I gave the benefit of the Holidays, and called on January 18, for an update. The Consular told me that there was a "protocol" between the Miami Consulate and the Comune in Italy, to record a document. I asked him if all my documents were in order and ok, and he said yes. So, i asked him if the only 'holdup' was that document and he said yes. However, I didn`t ask him if he sent all my documents to the comune. As far as I know, I was supposed to get a "letter" telling me that my Italian citizenship has been recognized, and my documents would be forwarded to Italy. Yet, he told me that he was looking at my file, and that it was in an "archives" of the Consulate. I didn`t ask enough questions, and things are a bit vague. I will call him on Tuesday and try and get more clarification. The way it sounded, was that i was very close to getting the letter. He said it may do some good if I notified someone I knew in the comune, to "speed things along". He already knows that 1/3 of the population is my family, in a town of 3000, and suggested I call one of them. The one I called, works with the Stato Civile office. so maybe it did some good. I am anxious to move to Italy
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

italy50 wrote:Yes I did. I gave the benefit of the Holidays, and called on January 18, for an update. The Consular told me that there was a "protocol" between the Miami Consulate and the Comune in Italy, to record a document. I asked him if all my documents were in order and ok, and he said yes. So, i asked him if the only 'holdup' was that document and he said yes. However, I didn`t ask him if he sent all my documents to the comune. As far as I know, I was supposed to get a "letter" telling me that my Italian citizenship has been recognized, and my documents would be forwarded to Italy. Yet, he told me that he was looking at my file, and that it was in an "archives" of the Consulate. I didn`t ask enough questions, and things are a bit vague. I will call him on Tuesday and try and get more clarification. The way it sounded, was that i was very close to getting the letter. He said it may do some good if I notified someone I knew in the comune, to "speed things along". He already knows that 1/3 of the population is my family, in a town of 3000, and suggested I call one of them. The one I called, works with the Stato Civile office. so maybe it did some good. I am anxious to move to Italy
Wow quite a story....I am just gathering my documents, so I guess I have a long way to go yet. Please keep me posted, either through this board or through email.
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

What Consulate are you going through? If you have any questions, I will be glad to help you, as I don`t think there is much I haven`t covered. However, the others on here are also great for helping out, and can help you also.
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

italy50 wrote:What Consulate are you going through? If you have any questions, I will be glad to help you, as I don`t think there is much I haven`t covered. However, the others on here are also great for helping out, and can help you also.
I'll be going through Philadelphia. I have no idea if they are any better or worse than the rest. If I have any questions, I will surely post them here.
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Philly? near 6th and Chestnut? :lol: lol. I was there from 1998, because I lived in South Philly at the time, and then moved to Northeast (Wissinoming). I lived in Philly from 1990 to 2000. At that time, I walked in and told the Consular officer that i wanted to go to Italy. however, before I could speak to him, a lady told me "you can`t just up and leave". lol. well, the Consular chief at the time was a 21 year old young man, who spoke intelligent and told me what i needed to do. However, after that i made my way to Ellis Island, thinking I would learn all there was to know about my family. They informed me that they had no information or database, but would by 2000. So, I left for the archives in Washington DC, in which i found lots of info. I started my family research in August 2003, because I was too busy working to have time before that. Philly is a fast paced life, especially if you use I-95 at 5pm. lol

Anyway, Philly should be much easier for you. I almost considered moving back there, just so i could be in their jurisdiction. However, they will be much more busy, than they were in 1998. The consulates have been swamped with Italian/Americans looking to leave the country since 2002. The Consulate in Chicago told me that they had about 80,000 applicants, in just 1 1/2 years, and that is only one consulate. You may be able to get your citizenship in a matter of a few months, but don`t quote me, as they certainly have become much busier
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

Well I haven't been to the consulate yet....I live in Harrisburg. But hopefully what you said about Philly being one of the better cosulates is still true. I'm still gathering documents, then I'll have to get my apostilles. So I know I've got a long way to go yet. One fortunate thing is living in Harrisburg, I can literally walk just a few blocks and be at any of the state office buildings, so I can save a bit of time by dropping off and picking up documents by hand. 8)
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Yes, being in Harrisburg is convenient. You have one advantage that you may not be aware of. The Philly Consulate may have less requirements than the one in Chicago or Miami. For example, Chicago may require a grandmothers birth certificate, whereas Philly may not. In other words, some Consulates may only require the Paternal side for documents, where others require the Maternal side as well. Some are more strict than others. I think Philly and New York are the most lenient.
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

That's good to hear....did someone in the consulate tell you that, or is it just your experience?

I think I read someplace that the Philaldephia consulate will do your translations for free. Do you know if that is true?
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

If you look at several websites of the Consulates, they usually give a list of required documents. I believe it was the Consulate in Miami, that told my brother (who lives in the jurisdiction of Miami), that the required documents depends on the Consulate, and some are more strict

As for the translation, i did hear that Philly will do the translations for a certain fee, but not sure if they still do. The Philadelphia Consulate website may have the info, or you can simply call them, and ask for the Stato Civile office