IMMIGRANT ANCESTORS PROJECT. . .

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
trevisan2
Master
Master

IMMIGRANT ANCESTORS PROJECT. . .

Post by trevisan2 »

Here is an chance to get involved in being a volunteer in doing extractions on emmigration from Italy. This project is much like the ellis Island extractions that was done by volunteers.

I signed up today to help out.

here is a quote from the Immigrant ANCESTORS PROJECT.
http://immigrants.byu.edu

Italian Project

Between 1876 and 1976 about 26 million Italians left their homeland for various destinations across the world. The emigration flow rapidly escalated during the last two decades of the 1800s to reach its peak during the first decade of the following century. Passports were required in order to leave Italy legally. Though original passports remained with the individuals and families who left, lists of passports issued and the paperwork behind each passport request can still be found to some extent today at State Archives in Italy especially for the turn of the century period. When located, such documentation becomes a source of great value to identify the individuals who manifested the intention to leave the country.
The Immigrant Ancestors Project is now engaged in an effort to trace such records in archives across Italy and then obtain a digital or microform copy of the available documents.
Reguards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: IMMIGRANT ANCESTORS PROJECT. . .

Post by suanj »

Hi; yes I read.. and also the italian surnames database, but with many errors(true!!!) and with surnames no existing... so I contacted and hope that they can understand that the italian project don't can start with a similar database.. and also i adviced about some correction, and as make it, but is a immense job..... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I signed up too!

Thanks for the info.

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I would consider it an honor to be able to contribute help,
count me in!!!
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

This sounds like fun!

I'll give it a try, too!

Nuccia :D
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

I am so grateful for the help I've been given in my research - mostly by the contributors to this forum - that I have been searching for a way to give back to the genealogy community. I hope that this project accepts my application. It sounds so interesting and I can't wait to get started.
Thanks!

N
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Has anyone received information yet on the project? I just received an email but haven't downloaded the program yet. If someone has already, I'd like to know what to expect so I can guage my time.

Thanks and Nunsiata, I'm sure you'll have no problem with the application!

trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

I received the initial batch, extracted it and turned it back in. The e-mail message states that they will now send out a new batch.
The first batch had about six pages of documents, in which basic information was obtained. The good thing about six different pages, allowed me to look at the surname with different writing styles.

What I need to do, is to adapt to the Napoli region, with its dialect and towns, that are new to me.
The software has a split screen between the software and the enlarged document. with thumbnails of all the different documents on the right.
The documents are digital and very clear.

Like any new project, one has to give it some time to adjust to the new style of writting.
reguards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I also recieved the email for the download, but also am curious...
how long is the download time, and how big is the file size??
DeLisa
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

The program downloaded in mere minutes - very easy. But, after getting a password and signing on, I keep getting an "unknown error" message when I try to download a batch.
I have sent three emails to the volunteer coordinator but haven't received a reply. I can't wait to start!
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks!

N
iapitalian

Post by iapitalian »

Hello All,

This is a representative of the Immigrant Ancestors Project.

We're excited that there are many who are interested in working on this project.

If any of you have questions or concerns with the program (it seems that getting the program up and running on volunteer computers sometimes takes a little work), please feel free to email us at iap@byu.edu. We would be happy to help you.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and help.

Immigrant Ancestors Project.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering how this is going. I haven't been able to find the time to complete my download and get involved and then I just forgot about it. :oops: Just found this thread again and thought I ask how the project is working out.....

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I have yet to recieve an answer as to how big the file size is.... :roll:
However, I am still interested in completing the project, the more transcriptions we voluntarily do....the more info available for research!!
That is why I have updated a local cemetery and plan to start another.
wldspirit
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ciao Wild spirit e Nuccia,
scrivo dall'Italia e anch'io ho aderito a questo progetto che mi è sembrato così utile e interessante... :D
Ho estratto e terminato finora 4 batch (il file non è molto grande, arriva zippato, io non ho la connessione DSL e ho visto che piu' o meno impiega 10/15 minuti al massimo a scaricare .. è molto piu' veloce il rinvio al termine della lavorazione).
Naturalmente c'è bisogno di un po' di pratica, i primi "lavori" avevano bisogno di tante correzioni, ma fortunatamente il responsabile italiano del progetto è una persona gentilissima e molto paziente e ogni volta dopo avee visionato il mio lavoro mi scrive una mail con le correzioni e i suggerimenti per lavorare al meglio...
Vedo che piano piano sto prendendo familiarità con la scrittura e l'impostazione "tecnica" dei dati estrapolati.....
Buon lavoro anche a Voi!!! :)
Laura
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

Hi All:
I have tried working on the project, but have not had great success. I couldn't download a batch at all - they had to finally email one to me. I completed the work three times (three copies of the same batch) and lost it every time I tried to return it! Talk about frustrating! :evil:
I'm embarrassed to say that I've given up - for now, anyway. Maybe I'll send yet ANOTHER email soon - though I know these people are sick of me and my problems by now!!

N