RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
48phil
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: France

RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby 48phil » 07 Mar 2006, 04:57

Hi,

I traced my ancestors in Argentina, all of Italian origin who are said to have fled Italy between 1861 and 1869 because of their action in Italy unification process with Garibaldi.
Last names are Edmundo (or Eduardo) and Itala de MORO (born 1829 and 1860), Guillermo GHILIERI (born 1817) and Luigi MADER (born 1828) all of them born in Italy but place is unknown.
Edmundo was my great grand father and Itala may be his daughter.
GHILIERI could have been the "brains" of the group given his age.

Any of you, italy history specialist have any idea if these names are known or any other details ? This would help me a lot.

Thanks

User avatar
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2109
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby jcsm400 » 07 Mar 2006, 08:35

Hi 48phil,

Found information on Eduardo, Ghilieri, Mader. Also , Del Moro & Moro but no de Moro (Demoro).

There was a Luigi Ghilier, age 28, who migrated to US in 1901. He's from Italy, but I can't make out the province on the ship manifest. Check out Ellis Island site. Regristration is free.

IGA @ familysearch.com shows Lorenzo Ghilier married 11/27/1886 in San Isidro Labrader, Chacabuco, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Any connection?

Hope this keeps you going til you get the next response!

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby nuccia » 07 Mar 2006, 09:21

Good information jcsm400!

Just to add...Here's the link to the ellis island site.

http://ellisisland.org/

Nuccia :D

User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby mfjp » 07 Mar 2006, 10:06

jcsm400 wrote:Hi 48phil,
...
There was a Luigi Ghilier, age 28, who migrated to US in 1901. He's from Italy, but I can't make out the province on the ship manifest. Check out Ellis Island site. Regristration is free..

jcsm


Could be C U O R G N E

Cuorgne'
Province of Torino
Piemonte-Piedmont Region, Italy

http://www.italyworldclub.com/piemonte/ ... uorgne.htm

Luigi 1901 manifest

mfjp

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12493
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby suanj » 07 Mar 2006, 13:30

48phil wrote:Hi,

I traced my ancestors in Argentina, all of Italian origin who are said to have fled Italy between 1861 and 1869 because of their action in Italy unification process with Garibaldi.
Last names are Edmundo (or Eduardo) and Itala de MORO (born 1829 and 1860), Guillermo GHILIERI (born 1817) and Luigi MADER (born 1828) all of them born in Italy but place is unknown.
Edmundo was my great grand father and Itala may be his daughter.
GHILIERI could have been the "brains" of the group given his age.

Any of you, italy history specialist have any idea if these names are known or any other details ? This would help me a lot.

Thanks


I think that the right spelling is GHIGLIERI and no Ghilieri or Ghilier that it don't exist in Italy; so your ancestor was Guglielmo GHIGLIERI; this Ghiglieri people are emigrated in Argentina:

GHIGLIERI CARLO

GHIGLIERI CARLO MARCO

GHIGLIERI GPPE.

GHIGLIERI MADDAL

GHIGLIERI TEODORA

also it is a Ghilieri( mistaken)
GHILIERI TOMASSO ( Tommaso right spell)

this surname GHIGLIERI is of Torino area..
[hr]
De Moro (right spelling but also exist Di Moro and Del Moro or only Moro) emigrated:
DE MORO ATTILIO

DE MORO GIOVANNI
other variations:

DI MORO G.

DI MORO LORENZO

DEMORO ENRICO
[hr]
no Mader emigrated, really no many persons in Italy with this surname, but are many MADERA and 33 Madera emigrated in Argentina.
[hr]
no records about your ancestors... but is right Cuorgné as suggest from Maria as main birthplace of Ghiglieri( Ghilieri is a mistaken transcription) and your search is right in Cuorgné town...
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
48phil
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: France

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby 48phil » 07 Mar 2006, 15:06

Wouff! Was wondering if anybody would get excited with the subject. Thanks to all for your very usefull answers.

I can be much more specific on facts as I got copy of the baptism certificates of the son and daughter of Edmundo de MORO showing god father and godmother names. These certificates are hand signed by them and this help in beeing sure of the right spelling.

a- Daughter of Edmondo de MORO:
Maria Luisa Paula de MORO born in Argentina in 1870 from Edmundo de MORO born 1829, italian and Elisa RAVIZIE born 1843, French (??)
Godfather Luis MADER (signed Luigi MADER spelling confirmed) born 1828, Italian.
Godmother Itala del MORO (as written by the priest but strangely hand signed DEMORO ??) born 1860, Italian. Difference in spelling may be explained by the age of the girl as she is only 13 and her writing very childish.

b- Son of Edmundo de MORO:
Enrique Nicolas Gillermo born in Argentina in 1873. Same mother.
Godfather Gillermo Gilieri (as written by the priest but very clearly signed GHILIERI) born 1817, Italian.
Same godmother with the same remarks.

Of course, I have no info on place of birth in Italy of all these poeple and am therefore stuck in Argentina and cannot cross the atlantic back to Italy.

Would these details help ??
Thanks
Phil

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12493
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby suanj » 07 Mar 2006, 16:45

48phil wrote:Wouff! Was wondering if anybody would get excited with the subject. Thanks to all for your very usefull answers.

I can be much more specific on facts as I got copy of the baptism certificates of the son and daughter of Edmundo de MORO showing god father and godmother names. These certificates are hand signed by them and this help in beeing sure of the right spelling.

a- Daughter of Edmondo de MORO:
Maria Luisa Paula de MORO born in Argentina in 1870 from Edmundo de MORO born 1829, italian and Elisa RAVIZIE born 1843, French (??)
Godfather Luis MADER (signed Luigi MADER spelling confirmed) born 1828, Italian.
Godmother Itala del MORO (as written by the priest but strangely hand signed DEMORO ??) born 1860, Italian. Difference in spelling may be explained by the age of the girl as she is only 13 and her writing very childish.

b- Son of Edmundo de MORO:
Enrique Nicolas Gillermo born in Argentina in 1873. Same mother.
Godfather Gillermo Gilieri (as written by the priest but very clearly signed GHILIERI) born 1817, Italian.
Same godmother with the same remarks.

Of course, I have no info on place of birth in Italy of all these poeple and am therefore stuck in Argentina and cannot cross the atlantic back to Italy.

Would these details help ??
Thanks
Phil


for better to understand:
1. Edmondo De Moro italian abt 1827 married to Elisa Ravizie, french(?) abt 1843 (if Elisa was italian the surname could be RAVIZZA)
1.1 Maria Luisa Paula de MORO born in Argentina in 1870. Godfather: Luis MADER born 1828, Italian. Godmother: Itala del MORO/DeMoro born 1860, Italian.
1.2 Enrique Nicolas Gillermo De Moro born in Argentina in 1873. Godfather: Gillermo (Guglielmo) Gilieri (GHILIERI signed) born 1817, Italian. Godmother: Itala Del MORO/DeMoro[/b] born 1860, Italian.
[hr]
about surnames spelling, as for all other italian surnames in foreign country are many errors, also if signed, because the peoples was illetterate or no most litterate...
However are this record very similar:

EDMONDO LUIGI ENRICO DEMORO
Male


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 1826 Smirra, Pesaro-Urbino, Italy

Christening:
Death:
Burial:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: MIALA( most probable Michele right) DEMORO Family
Mother: MARIA NOMIS
and the marriage:
EDMONDO LUIGI ENRICO DEMORO
Male Family


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: MARIA PAOLA PASSADORE Family
Marriage: 31 OCT 1850 Genova, Genova, Italy

[hr]

I don't say that this Edmondo is your ancestor, but it are some coincidence.. your suggestions?
Regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
Sal
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 73
Joined: 27 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby Sal » 07 Mar 2006, 19:14

If you go to this site --- http://www.melius.it/garibaldi.htm you will see a list of the 1090 people who landed in Marsala with Garibaldi in 1864. Included is a Girolamo Gilieri from Legnago (Veneto), whose father was Antonio. Could he be your ancestor??

Sal

User avatar
48phil
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: France

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby 48phil » 08 Mar 2006, 00:33

Hello suanj,

Do you say there was a boy named Edmondo Luigi Enrico DEMORO born in 1826 in Smirra, Pesaro-Urbino in Italy.
His father was Miala (Michele ?) DEMORO and his mother Maria NOMIS.
He got married on 31 october 1850 in Genova with Maria Paola PASSADORE ??

If you confirm this, Suanj, you are simply magic !!

Listen to the family stories I have heard of all my life long:
Things (fights) happened in Liguria and most probably Genova. There was a NOMIS woman in the story (Although it is again "de NOMIS") and she was an austrian countess.
This cannot be coincidence only! Thanks a lot, I will check in Smirra and Genova now.
... but there is still this name spelling issue. 'de MORO" which is my name today is the spelling I find on all documents I know including those up to 1870 in Argentina. How comes there could be so many variations ? These guys were not illiterate at all. You can say that just by watching their sign.
On top of this they must have had a good education as beeing (family stories again) fairly rich (Owning ships or something like that).

Another peculiar one now:
Almost a year ago, YMorrow in Australia posted a message saying her GGF arrived in Brisbane in 1864 but was quite different from other emigrants from Italy as he was not leaving Italy because he was poor. He was escaping because involved in a fight for Italy unification, his father was a ship owner ... and so , and so.
This story was sounding so close to mine that I contacted her and we still communicate today trying to find out if her guy and mine are the same.
Her guy was having a tatoo showing "Loumak Psarro 1858" on his arm.
You answered at this time that it was probably the name of a boat as Pesaro is an harbour on the adriatic. PESARO again !!
Suanj, this time again, you were probably right !
So, could it be that Edmondo fled to Australia before going to Argentina ? Why not ?

What do you think ??
Thanks a lot again and my best regards.
Philippe.

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12493
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby suanj » 08 Mar 2006, 13:49

48phil wrote:Hello suanj,

Do you say there was a boy named Edmondo Luigi Enrico DEMORO born in 1826 in Smirra, Pesaro-Urbino in Italy.
His father was Miala (Michele ?) DEMORO and his mother Maria NOMIS.
He got married on 31 october 1850 in Genova with Maria Paola PASSADORE ??

If you confirm this, Suanj, you are simply magic !!

Listen to the family stories I have heard of all my life long:
Things (fights) happened in Liguria and most probably Genova. There was a NOMIS woman in the story (Although it is again "de NOMIS") and she was an austrian countess.
This cannot be coincidence only! Thanks a lot, I will check in Smirra and Genova now.
... but there is still this name spelling issue. 'de MORO" which is my name today is the spelling I find on all documents I know including those up to 1870 in Argentina. How comes there could be so many variations ? These guys were not illiterate at all. You can say that just by watching their sign.
On top of this they must have had a good education as beeing (family stories again) fairly rich (Owning ships or something like that).

Another peculiar one now:
Almost a year ago, YMorrow in Australia posted a message saying her GGF arrived in Brisbane in 1864 but was quite different from other emigrants from Italy as he was not leaving Italy because he was poor. He was escaping because involved in a fight for Italy unification, his father was a ship owner ... and so , and so.
This story was sounding so close to mine that I contacted her and we still communicate today trying to find out if her guy and mine are the same.
Her guy was having a tatoo showing "Loumak Psarro 1858" on his arm.
You answered at this time that it was probably the name of a boat as Pesaro is an harbour on the adriatic. PESARO again !!
Suanj, this time again, you were probably right !
So, could it be that Edmondo fled to Australia before going to Argentina ? Why not ?

What do you think ??
Thanks a lot again and my best regards.
Philippe.


Hi Phil,
-about Edmondo DeMoro that I found .. well this is a record on LDS Family search as you can see... directly from microfilm...

-about Miala father name I think that is a mistaken transcription of Michele first name ..as it is in online records for italian names transcription...

-about Nomis surname (Maria NOMIS) what I can say is that Nomis is a part of a long surname also well present in Genova and also of noble origin, in fact was a Major( Potestà called):Nomis di Cossilla Conte Avv. Augusto, ( count: Augusto Nomis di Cossilla lawyer) Potestà from 1865 to 1867 in Genova; so was a noble family in Genova with surname: Nomis di Cossilla... (but was also another branche of Nomis noble family, and this branche was: Nomis di Pollone but Nomis di Cossilla coming from Genova ...)

-about austrian countess most probable was a italian countess of italian land under austrian power

-about illetterate people or litterate people, normally it was so in the past time, but also it is possible that the surname is Demoro( so .. this spelling... also if the sound is equal in Italy the different writing os a same sound is very important, so De Moro is no Demoro, because it is a important space ) and this surname is very frequent in Genova area ..

- about Maria Passadore first marriage, same reply about birth of Edmondo.. moreover I don't know if Itala De Moro first daughter was the daughter of Edmondo and Elisa or was a daughter of Edmondo and another woman..

- about tattoo showing "Loumak Psarro 1858" I remember very well this topic, but I think that is necessary to see almost a design for better to say.. but Psarro I think mispelled because it seems a part of italian name and could be Pesaro, but is far possibility, because for to say some opinion is necessary to see the tattoo design...

-about Australia, I can say that with Garibaldi's story and the garibaldini peoples we know that this italians really was also in Australia and Argentina, so all is possible .. however here is a good website for to find the vessels or mariners or captains or passengers of all world in australiansea from 1870 ..

- advice: the first step is to see the LDS microfilms about Edmondo : it is birth, marriage but no death, so is possible that was died in foreign country.. to see the microfilm is very important for to understand very well if the record is right or no..
Best regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
48phil
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: France

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby 48phil » 08 Mar 2006, 21:21

Hello suanj,

Thanks a lot for this handfull of information. I got busy for almost a year now !!

Will keep you aware of my progress, if there are some .... but, we never know.

best regards
Philippe

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12493
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby suanj » 08 Mar 2006, 23:34

48phil wrote:Hello suanj,

Thanks a lot for this handfull of information. I got busy for almost a year now !!

Will keep you aware of my progress, if there are some .... but, we never know.

best regards
Philippe

Hi Phil, it could be that this Edmondo really is YOUR Edmondo.. I think that we have very good possibilities... when you will have some new info you can use this same topic, so we always have all story of Edmondo search!! many regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
ccalleg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby ccalleg » 13 Dec 2006, 18:19

Hi all,

I'm trying to discover my own "family forest". I'm looking information about my ancestors: "Antonio Callegari" and "Anunciada -or Annunciata- Ghiglieri", both italians but don't know the place of birth.
Antonio was born in Italy near 1844. Anunciada was born in Italy near 1847-1848.
They came to Argentina and got married in Buenos Aires, church "Iglesia de la Piedad" on June 13th, 1874. Two specific persons were present during the marriage: "Maria Ghiglieri" and "Antonio Piccetti".
They had 5 children: Domingo (Domenico), Jose, Antonio, Juan, and Benito Pedro Marcos.
Antonio's parents were: Domingo Callegari and Angela Parmegiano.
Anunciada's parents were: Benito Ghiglieri and Luisa Beronia.

I have the certificates of baptisms of her children, and the following names appears like friends of Antonio and Anunciada:
Lorenzo Ghiglieri, Luisa Ghiglieri, Agustin Rossi, Luis Casanova, Catalina Baronia, Marcos de Paoli, Maria Ginocchio.

Do you have any information that could be helpful in order to find where Antonio and Maria were born in Italy? or any other interested information?
Thanks in advance.
Claudia

User avatar
48phil
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: France

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby 48phil » 22 Jan 2007, 07:49

Hello Claudia,
I have a Guilliermo GHILIERI, Italian, born around 1817.
He was the godfather of my grand father Enrique de MORO baptized in Chilvilcoy on 1/6/1873. I got the baptism certificate of San Pedro de Apostol in Chivilcoy but lost trace of all these guys afterwards as they reappear in France on the same year for wathever unknown reason.
According to what you have, and depending on the age of Annunciata when she got married in BA, she may be either sister or daughter of Guillermo.
Same remark concerning Maria GHILIERI.
So nothing much for you except that there was a Guillermo GHILIERI aged 56, italian, in Chivilcoy on 1/6/1873.
Bye
Phil

User avatar
veronicainsandiego
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 Jan 2008, 22:39

Re: RED SHIRTS to Argentina: de MORO, GHILIERI, MADER ...

Postby veronicainsandiego » 05 Feb 2008, 10:03

Hi Phil! It seems you really have gotten ahead in your search! Great to hear that! While reading this, I see you have gotten a baptism certificate of your GGF from the San Pedro Apostol church in Chivilcoy, Argentina. My grandfather's oldest brother and sister were born in Chivilcoy (?1892 and ?1894), were children of Italian citizens. I think my grandfather must have also been born in Chivilcoy, since my dad was born in Chivilcoy. How did you get that baptism certificate? I have not even found the link to write to them. Do you have any more information on how to get pertinent records from there? A would really appreciate any help you can supply. And also, is there anything I could help you with? Let me know. I am trying to enlist the help of my cousins in Argentina, I can ask for you too!
Many thanks, Veronica


Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests