Interrante from Sciacca Sicilia

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Damiano

Interrante from Sciacca Sicilia

Postby Damiano » 14 Mar 2006, 00:56

Hey, My Great-grandfather came from Sciacca Sicily. His name is Mario Interrante. He married Guiseppa Coco or Couco. I am trying to acquire birth and marriage certificates for them. Does anyone have any idea where get this info.
I sent requests to the Stato Civile and Ufficio de Anagrafe of Agrigento.
but after 2 months still no response.
any suggestions??

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Interrante from Sciacca Sicilia

Postby jcsm400 » 14 Mar 2006, 01:26

This is a link to the filmed civil records for Sciacca. You can order these films from any Family History Center for abt 5.50 per film.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... Sciacca+++

Here is a link to find your FHC.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Don't give up on getting a response to your letters. Sometimes it takes awhile!

Hope this helps.

jcsm

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 14 Mar 2006, 01:49

Damiano wrote:Hey, My Great-grandfather came from Sciacca Sicily. His name is Mario Interrante. He married Guiseppa Coco or Couco. I am trying to acquire birth and marriage certificates for them. Does anyone have any idea where get this info.
I sent requests to the Stato Civile and Ufficio de Anagrafe of Agrigento.
but after 2 months still no response.
any suggestions??

If you ever write again to the ufficio di stato civile or anagrafe, next time, attach to your request a photocopy of your ID, an envelope and an international reply coupon for answer back.
bye Riccardo :lol:

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 14 Mar 2006, 02:38

Riccardo,

Thanks for reminding me to send photo ID. I always forget & have two letters to be sent. Just waiting for my post office to restock on international reply coupons!

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

belladonnadicalabria

Postby belladonnadicalabria » 14 Mar 2006, 03:59

ricbru wrote:If you ever write again to the ufficio di stato civile or anagrafe, next time, attach to your request a photocopy of your ID, an envelope and an international reply coupon for answer back.

Hi,

May I ask since when do you have to attach a photocopy of your ID with your letter? I recently sent letters and never attached my ID and I got a response back.

Thank you
Maria

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 14 Mar 2006, 04:05

Dear Maria,
I live in italy, and I know the way to request civil act or civil certificate to the comune.
Many times they want your ID photocopy, because is the law 241/90 that request it.
Italian Public Administration (comune belongs to it) want to know who makes the requests. 8O
The law is one, and the comunes sometimes follows this kind of rule, sometimes not.
You have been lucky.
Since many of you send the request to comunes of Italy, and sometimes ufficio di stato civile doesn't write back, I suggest to attach to the request the ID copy, an envelope and an international reply coupon.
At least the comune has not reason to do not write you back,...... :roll: instead of waiting of non response, and people don't even know why.... :roll:

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 14 Mar 2006, 06:45

Riccardo,

I think you make a good point. With the recent privacy laws, they would need to be careful about who to send records to. I think it's possible people are just starting to take it more seriously now... :?:

This is just my thoughts though and like Riccardo says, it may explain why some people haven't been receiving the documents they request.

Nuccia :D

Damiano

Postby Damiano » 15 Mar 2006, 05:38

hello,

thank you all for the suggestions, I did not think to send photo id.
I had only sent the request letter and the reply coupons. I will resend everything, this time with the copied id.
Someone suggestioned to send pluralingual reply coupons, what do you know about that?

Damiano :)

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 15 Mar 2006, 05:46

Hi Damiano,

Did you mean polylingual? I've never heard of them. You'll be safe with Internatinal Rely Coupons available from your post office. Others would be able to confirm this. Whatever you do, don't send a money order. It's the most difficult form of payment to cash in Italy and they usually won't even try to cash them. Sometimes they don't return them either. I think the coupons are for postage and handling of the return documents to you.

By the way, I love your name...it's my dad's name and my son's middle name! :wink:

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 18 Mar 2006, 11:34

I believe they suggested you request a polylingual certificate.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 19 Mar 2006, 01:32

nuccia wrote:Riccardo,

I think you make a good point. With the recent privacy laws, they would need to be careful about who to send records to. I think it's possible people are just starting to take it more seriously now... :?:

This is just my thoughts though and like Riccardo says, it may explain why some people haven't been receiving the documents they request.

This is not a problem of privacy:
anyone in Italy can request any civil certificate of anybody;
the civil certificate writes some of what is written in the entire civil act.
In Italy anyone can request the copy of anyone civil act, but the civil act has to be older than 70 years.
Copy of civil acts younger than 70 years old can't be done.
I hope I was clear,

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 19 Mar 2006, 01:49

The privacy law has little to do with the slow response of comune offices, they are being flooded with request for genealogical informations from abroad, depending on staff, some comunes take longer to answer than others. They are busy dealing with the day to day operation of their offices and someone walking thru the front door is going to get service before request from afar.
wldspirit

badmoonrising

Postby badmoonrising » 28 Mar 2006, 12:20

Mario and Josephine are my cousins grand-parents. Who is your link?
I sent a PM but don't know if you check there.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”