need help finding g-aunt from 1920-1930's

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

need help finding g-aunt from 1920-1930's

Postby ally » 28 Mar 2006, 01:08

I have been trying to find my grandmothers sister/husband in a census for 1920/1930.

The aunt- Anna Vernaglia/Ricci was married to Antonio Ricci from Secaucus, NJ. IN 1921 they were the god parents to my fathers sister, her maiden name was listed as Vernaglia and husband Antonio Ricci (spelt this way) in Sept 1921 in West New York, NJ.

Info on Ricci family: Antonio's family owned a cow farm in Secaucus. A fact -as all my dads siblings use to go there from time to time. After which point, they moved to Yonkers, NY. Anna was apparently a beautiful woman. She modeld clothes for a Jewish designer and apparently won a beauty contest in her 17th year. She was born 9/1906 in New Jersey, and Antonio according to family was born in Italy and moved with family to Secaucus.

Anyone know where: 1. I could find property papers for farm in Secaucus?
2) A newspaper called the Daily Mirror or Globe circa 1923? Dont know if a New York paper or Jersey Paper. NJ State archives never heard of this paper? Also tried NY Public Library. No luck??

I am trying to find out if she married in Jersey/New York, but cannot seem to locate any birth records on the branch with nameVernaglia. Did however find the father's death cert, from the bronx, he drowned in the Harlem River and name was noted as Vernaglia.

Also last known tidbit, Anna/Antonio had 1 girl, Marilyn, no known birthdate.

My life would be so much easier if my aunt did not throw away all our family papers when she moved. Everything is now is some dump site in Jersey, withering away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ally :D

MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Re: need help finding g-aunt from 1920-1930's

Postby MauroMags » 28 Mar 2006, 03:52

They might be New York papers

Here is a good listing of New Jersey papers.. I don't see your titles

http://www.npl.org/Pages/Collections/njicnews1.html

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 28 Mar 2006, 04:55

Hi Ally,

The Daily Mirror is a New York paper. Check out this site, then download the list of New York City Papers and do to page 7. It's listed.

http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/grd/r ... s/nyc.html

On page 5, it lists the Globe and Comercial Advertiser 1904-1923. I'll keep digging. Also, let me know if you need anything from Yonkers. I used to live there and still have family that way. Not sure they can help but we can ask if we have to!

Hope this helps.

Nuccia :D

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 28 Mar 2006, 05:06

Hi again,

Here's another interesting site..

http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp/all/431.htm#12864430

http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp/all/431.htm#12283906

http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp/all/431.htm#09381328

I believe these are the papers that are microfilmed. Haven't had a chance to really look through the whole thing but look it over and let me know if it helps.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » 28 Mar 2006, 13:10

If New York and New Jeresy have City directories check them for names addresses of where they lived. I would also try the daily newspapers local library. They may have the newspapers on microfilm with a vital statics section where they listed births, marriages,deaths, and divorces and memberships in service organizations. Also try local morman family history library. A lot of times they have information you can't always find in the library. do an internet search for the old news paper. The librarian should beable to help you do a search on the newspaper. It may have been sold to a larger newspaper and the name changed or went out of business. Try a property records search. the information your looking for may be on the deed to the property. Look for obituaries on your realitive. Then go to the mortuary and cemetery for information and next of kin. 8)
Shttuerbug

ally
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ally » 28 Mar 2006, 22:30

:D
Thanks for info. I did try local libraries for obits, marriages etc. Apparently in Hudson County only a few italians were listed in obits, etc.
Majority of the info was on Germans. I tried our family cemetery where majority of relatives are. No variation of the name Vernaglia exists. The man is a very nice guy and he checked every year up util late 30's. I know they lived in Yonkers when my fathers sister was around 10, that makes the year 1931. I don;t even have an address for Yonkers to check directories for that town. I tried Jersey directories from Jersey City Library, no luck on Ricci.

It is hard not finding a birth cert for her. Even called the local churches, I seem to know these woman so well. Only found some baptisms, and they were on my dads siblings.

I also tried the NYPL, they don;t have the papers I need to find out anything. She suggested the Hisotircal Society of Yonkers, no info there without more info to give, like an address.

Wanted to see if anyone else had any other suggestions. Thanks bunches to all.

Nuccia, you have family living in Yonkers? Wonder if you could find out, where can I write to get a marriage license of my grandmothers 1st marriage. She was 14 yrs old, year would be around1906/7. She married a Francesco Straguzzi, he was born 8/1876. Much older. Do they check by year???? I looked in Jersey, weren't married here.

Seems when my g-gramps came to America they settled in Yonkers, moved here around mid 1900's. I found census from 1910, 1915 in North Bergen. So I am thinking she married in New York.

Also, noticed that when g-gramps died, he died in Harlem, suicide in Harlem River. I am not familiar with New York, is this close to where Yonkers is????? Supposedly, he had family living there and in West Hoboken, NJ? Curious. Maybe I can locate some family of his in Yonkers.

I keep running into brick walls, if only my aunt wasn't such a pain in the you know what!!! We still cannot believe she threw away all papers and pictures of our family. We are so bummed!!!!

By the way Nuccia, I have to dress up for immigration day as well as my son. He looks soooo cute. Bought a hat, suspenders etc. I am thinking of wearing long black skirt, shirt and noticed some woman wore aprons, so wearing one of those too. And of course a kerchief on my head.!!! Should look so wonderfu. My son is getting so excited :D

Have a good one guys - thanks again for some more info.

As usual you people are wonderful!!!

Ally

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 29 Mar 2006, 00:46

Ally,
Interesting Burial in N Bergen:
Francesco Vernaglia
b in Italy, died in Bronx, buried NJ
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =12944151&

Some Vital Records for Yonkers (Westchester County):
great website for searches by last name
http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchives/default.htm

Hope this helps! vj :wink:

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 29 Mar 2006, 03:57

Hi Ally,

Have you seen this site? I assume you have but did Francesco die August or June? :?

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nj ... church.txt

The wedsite VJ gave you is great for what you're looking for. Give them a try. Meanwhile, I'll ask around and see if I can come up with anything.

I'm so excited about your son's project! Will you let us know how it goes? Maybe you can post some pictures. If you don't feel comfortable with that, make sure you email me pictures! :lol: :lol: I'd love to see them!

ally
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ally » 29 Mar 2006, 06:05

VJ & Nuccia,

Yes I know about findagrave. Great site! Got some pics of tombstones from some volunteers. Gonna check out that one for westchestergov.

This is the most frustrating part of my grams family. She never spoke about any, I mean any of her family. I am the one that found out about most of her family line.

Francesco Vernaglia died in August. I am still trying to figure out how he was in Harlem, when they lived in No. Bergen, NJ. Only thing I can think of is that he still worked in New York on the railroad. And why he would commit suicide? But then again, they say my grandfather did the same with getting hit by a train. I guess the men had too much to handle and couldn't cope. Thus figuring the women would remarry someone better?!?!? :? :?

Nuccia,
I am hoping to post pics, have to check with other parents of course. If not I will post of my son and email you some others of the boat and stations etc. It is on the 5th, so I will try to post on the 6th. CCD nite is Wednesday, so it is a very busy evening here. If you could check into Yonkers like you mentioned would be most grateful.

Talk later!

Ally

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 30 Apr 2006, 08:50

Hi Ally,

Did you have any luck with the address I gave you to find vital records in Yonkers? Let me know if it helps at all.

Spent the last three hours on the phone with Trish. She's done some work for me on my mothers side of the family and is sending the documents tonight. There comes a time when one needs to enlist the help of a professional genealogist like Trish to help. I'm so excited because I know I wouldn't have been able to do this as quickly and as accurately as she has.

I'll let you know how it goes and I hope you do the same!

Kiss the little ones for me!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”