dual citizenship - do I qualify??

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maefius

dual citizenship - do I qualify??

Postby maefius » 30 Mar 2006, 05:12

I would I am fairly sure I qualify for dual citizenship, but would appreciate it if I had some opinions from people who are a bit more experienced with this than I. I only recently started researching obtaining dual citizenship. Here is my history:

me - born 1976 USA
mother - born 1940 USA
grandfather - born 1905 USA
great-grandfather - born 1873 Italy

My great-grandfather immigrated to California around 1892 and as far as we know he was never naturalized. Can anyone provide advice on how to streamline the process of getting certiicates of no records to prove he was not naturalized? This seems to be quite overwhelming with so many agencies to contact. Thank you for any help you can provide. I am sure I will be posting on here again as I get deeper into this.

John

vj
Master
Master

Re: dual citizenship - do I qualify??

Postby vj » 30 Mar 2006, 07:26

John,
You may want to try this?
vj

from article: Italian Genealogy - How Hard Is It?
by June C. DeLalio, CG NEHGS September 6, 2002

1942 Alien Registration Records:
"What if you know that your ancestor never became a citizen? Are there records for them? There most certainly are. At the beginning of 1942, all Italians, then classified as enemy aliens, had to re-register with the government and were subjected to personal restrictions. The records under this Alien Registration Act contain pages of personal information including date of birth, place of birth, date of first and last arrival in the United States along with much other personal information. You can apply to the INS for this Alien Registration Form (AR-2) by writing to:
Department of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service
FOIA/PA Unit
425 “Iâ€Â

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 03 Apr 2006, 15:58

John,

It is, of course, possible that your great grandfather was not alive in 1942. There is another way of getting a statement of "No Records Found."

Check on this:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

At the bottom of this page, you will find this statement:

Certifications: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record involves an agency decision. The Office of Records Management prepares this documentation. Requests for this service should be addressed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ATTN: Records Services Branch, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. 4th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20529.

As you can see, the instructions are unclear. If you cannot reach them by telephone, you may want to try writing a letter explaining your situation. That may be all you need, but I would enclose a completed Form G-639 as well. You might want to state in your letter that you are enclosing this form to be used if it is necessary. This way you are covering all your bases.

maefius

Postby maefius » 04 Apr 2006, 00:59

Well, my great-grandfather did not die until 1963. Proving no-naturalization seems to be the hardest part of this whole process since it is rather confusing about where exactly i need to send each request, and what exactly i have to send. It looks like i need to write to the National Archives (www.archives.gov for more naturalization search), Census dept (www.census.org for census records) and Department of Homeland Security (for naturalization records search). But the DHS request I thought was supposed to go to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, P.O. Box 648010, Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010 . And I also have to make that same request in the county in which he resided.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 04 Apr 2006, 01:25

The Missouri office does not handle requests for "nonexistence of records." Obtaining the naturalization records seems to be the most difficult. For some, it has taken more than eight months, and since they will be searching for records that do not exist, for you it may take longer.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”