How did my grandfather enter the US?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

How did my grandfather enter the US?

Post by legnoduro »

Hello and thank you for this great forum!
I am trying to find out how my grandfather entered the US. It was never clear from my parents, and my grandfather died when I was a teen and not very interested in the subject. He indicated on the 1930 census that he arrived in the US in 1908 but I have not been unable to track his entry through the usual ports of entry. I remember being told he came through South America but no one was sure of this. His name was Amidio Sereno, but on various documents spelled it Emidio or Amedeo. He was born in 1888, according to his U.S. Social Security application, in Fagnano-Castello to Francesco Sereno and Filomena Rinaldo. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
pgatto

Re: How did my grandfather enter the US?

Post by pgatto »

Did you see the Philadelphia Passenger Lists for 1800-1945? It shows an Amedeo Sereno b. abt. 1889 arriving from Naples on May 1, 1909.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Legnoduro,

The info provided by member "pgatto" above was given to you on your other post "Sereno from Calabria."

Do you not think this is the correct manifest? Why?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Hello,
I do have this manifest. When I originally found it I thought it might be my grandfather. After closer inspection I found two items that I am having trouble verifying. He was from Calabria, Castell Fagnano in Cosenza. The manifest shows Miglianico, Chieti in Abruzzo. The manifest also gives his mother's name as Giovanni. He said his mother's name was Filomena Rinaldo (this I am hoping to verify when I receive his birth certificate). I will let you know what the birth certificate reveals, if anything.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi,

Emidio's ship record can be found at this post.

To view....

Maria
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Maria........you astound me as always!!!

Nice to see you haven't lost your touch!!! :lol:

wldspirit