Grandfather's Natualization records/citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Grandfather's Natualization records/citizenship

Postby daniella370 » 11 May 2006, 01:13

I am going crazy! I need to try and apply for dual-citizenship and I cannot find my grandfather's natualization or citizenship records.

In addition, I would like to know how I may obtain his birth certificate from Palermo Italy? Trying to get a phone number from the internet but I cannot find one.

I am new to this so any information will really help me.

Re: Grandfather's Natualization records/citizenship

Postby JSaccaro » 11 May 2006, 02:07

Hi Daniella,

I don't know if this will help you or not but I ordered my great grandfathers birth certificate (Corleone, Italy) through
From the information I received here on this forum, they are a reputable company. I had a few questions for them and sent them an email and they replied almost right away.

Hope that helps! :D

Re: Grandfather's Natualization records/citizenship

Postby mler » 11 May 2006, 07:49

I just today got word from myitaliancitizenship that my grandfather's birth certificate has arrived. They have been super to deal with. As far as your grandfather's citizenship records are concerned, this will be totally easy for you since you live in NY.

Go to the NARA offices at 201 Varick Street (I think it's the 12th floor). Tell them what you are looking for and they will produce a certified copy of your grandfather's Petition for Naturalization, and Oath of Allegience. They then will tie them together with a lovely red ribbon. It took them less than a half hour to get this for me, and they were exceptionally helpful.

More good news: Since the date of naturalization is listed on the oath, you don't need to go through the lengthy process of getting a Certificate of Naturalization (this sometimes takes more than a year).

More good news: I was at the Italian Consulate in NY last week, and the certified oath is acceptable to them.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”