Jure Sanguinis - Not Fair.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jtucci

Jure Sanguinis - Not Fair.

Post by jtucci »

I am an American of Italian decent. My grandmother was born in Italy and came to the States with her parents as a minor. It was not her choice to become American. My great-grandfather was still alive at my birth and used to call me only by "bambina" and speak to me in Italian. My grandmother has told me my whole life how wonderful Italy is. We always ate Italian food. We have family in Italy. In other words, I am Italian. But I don't qualify for jure sanguinis.

Overall jure sanguinis is great. Very few countries have anything similar and it's wonderful people of Italian decent can go back to Italy. For all of you who qualify for jure sanguinis: That's fantastic. I hope you get your citizenship.

It is the actual technicalities of the law that are not fair. Why is someone "more Italian" (i.e. have a stronger claim to citizenship) than me when they are applying through their great or great-great grandparent? In many cases they never even knew that person. They didn't grow up near an Italian-born Italian. Their family has probably been in American 150 years. So why are they more Italian than me according to the law? It's not fair.

Then there are those who don't qualify for jure sanguinis because they (or their parents) were born prior to 1948 and they are using their maternal line. In the same family there might be some siblings who are Italian citizens, and others who are not.

Yes, I know I could go to Italy and live there legally for 3 years and get my citizenship as an Italian decendant. But getting to Italy legally is no small task. As a non-EU citizen and someone who does not have thousands of dollars sitting around, it appears my only choice is to go on a student visa. I already have a US degree but to become Italian, I will go to school again. Be a poor college student... again. Pork and beans (Italian style) for 3 years... the sequel. Meanwhile those who qualify for jure sanguinis can go to Italy without a visa, get a PdiS under the condition they are waiting for their citizenship to be approved, and work legally.

I'm not saying jure sanguinis should be revoked. But I am saying the law should be modified and expanded. I would be interested in hearing from others who feel the same way, whether you qualify for jure sanguinis or not.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Jure Sanguinis - Not Fair.

Post by mler »

Actually someone who qualifies jure sanguinis is Italian because he was born to an Italian parent. That's just the way the law is.
Gialimina

Re: Jure Sanguinis - Not Fair.

Post by Gialimina »

I can certainly understand what you mean! I am going through my grandfather and qualify by way of jure sanguinis. However, my uncle, who is my grandfather`s son and my father`s brother, does not qualify! that is absurd, and he has claim to being 1st generation, and both parents Italian!.

He doesn`t qualify because he was born AFTER his father became a US citizen, whereas my father (his brother), was born BEFORE my grandfather naturalized, and so citizenship was passed to me. So, even his children, who are my first cousins do not qualify either.

So, having an Italian parent DOES NOT qualify a person for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis, as my uncle had two Italian parents, both born in Italy.

So, you are right, it is NOT fair, because in certain circumstances the law is unfair, such as a family of say 5 children born to Italian parents, but only 2 or 3 may qualify, because of a naturalization date, rather than bloodline.