Runaway from Engand to Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ncbeattie

Runaway from Engand to Italy

Postby ncbeattie » 15 May 2006, 19:44

It would appear that my relative Harry REYNOLDS ran away to Italy with his family c1882. He and his family returned by the English 1891 Census.

One child was born in Cheshire, England about 1882.
Four children were apparently born in Italy, two of whom died young and were buried in The Protestant Cemetery, Rome. In the 1891 Census in Cheshire one child was born in Rome and the other Perugia.
The boy born in Perugia was born in 1887/1888. The fact that he must have gone to Italy has only come to light in the last year from the Englsi 1891 Census.
But a family story emerged several years ago that he perhaps had been 'in trouble'. Before he went he was a stud groom and on his return he kept a Livery Stable.

The family were not apparently wealthy and there is no known link with Italy prior to his going.
What official information may be available for his going from England to Italy? Would a passport have been required? Is he likely to have gone via ship? Was there a regular service between Liverpool or London and Rome?

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be extremley welcome, please. I know when he died in Norhwich, Cheshire so an obituary in a local paper may give a clue though I doubt it will provide the full story.

Thanks in anticipation
Regards.

Emmy
Master
Master

Re: Runaway from Engand to Italy

Postby Emmy » 14 Jun 2006, 19:16

Hi ncbeattie
I'm afraid I cant help you at the moment but I am on a similar search re if there are records kept of people leaving Scotland/Britain to go to Italy and vice/versa but the dates I am looking at are slightly later approx 1910 onwards. I am not having much success either, finding ships records of passengers coming from Italy to England around 1881-1887 at the National Archives at Kew and it seems that no records are kept at Italian ports either of people leaving Italy to come to Britain. If I get any information I'll keep you in mind and post it and send a p.m. to you.
Dont give up trying, I've been searching for my grandparents marriage certicates etc for almost 30 years and hey presto! after registering on this site within a very short space of time I'm almost there couldnt have mangaed it without all the help from all the wonderful people who help on this site
Good Luck
Emmy

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Runaway from Engand to Italy

Postby ricbru » 14 Jun 2006, 20:04

ncbeattie wrote:It would appear that my relative Harry REYNOLDS ran away to Italy with his family c1882. He and his family returned by the English 1891 Census.

One child was born in Cheshire, England about 1882.
Four children were apparently born in Italy, two of whom died young and were buried in The Protestant Cemetery, Rome. In the 1891 Census in Cheshire one child was born in Rome and the other Perugia.
The boy born in Perugia was born in 1887/1888. The fact that he must have gone to Italy has only come to light in the last year from the Englsi 1891 Census.
But a family story emerged several years ago that he perhaps had been 'in trouble'. Before he went he was a stud groom and on his return he kept a Livery Stable.

The family were not apparently wealthy and there is no known link with Italy prior to his going.
What official information may be available for his going from England to Italy? Would a passport have been required? Is he likely to have gone via ship? Was there a regular service between Liverpool or London and Rome?

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be extremley welcome, please. I know when he died in Norhwich, Cheshire so an obituary in a local paper may give a clue though I doubt it will provide the full story.

Thanks in anticipation
Regards.

Hello,
you can request a cemetery record to Protestant cemetery in Rome

Cimitero Protestante
Via Nicola Zabaglia, 45
00153 Roma- Italy
Tel/Fax: 06 5741900

mail@protestantcemetery.it

you can request civil record to comune of Rome

Comune
Ufficio Centrale di Stato Civile