"No Record of Naturalization" from counties

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jtucci

"No Record of Naturalization" from counties

Postby jtucci » 16 May 2006, 03:31

My consulate says in the case of "No record of naturalization" I need to get this letter from both FOIA and the county in which my ancestor resided. The problem is the county: They don't have any naturalization records for anybody anymore. They sent all of the records to the county historical museum. Is this going to be enough for my consulate? I tried calling the consulate but they're not answering their phone. :(

mler
Master
Master

Re: "No Record of Naturalization" from counties

Postby mler » 16 May 2006, 04:41

Did you check with the historical museum? Since the county sent all its records there, they will provide the statement on the county's behalf. The consulate would expect you to go to the place where the county records are now stored (in this case the museum) not where they were originally kept. The statement from the historical museum will then meet the "county" requirement.

The FOIA will provide the other half, but from what I hear, they move slowly. You'll need to provide them with as much information as you can, or it will take them forever to go through their records.

If one agency does not find the record of naturalization, it is possible the other will. That's why the consulate wants you to check both. The consulate wants to be sure that if such a record exists, they will have access to it. If both can't find the record, they would then have to assume no naturalization; but because you are attempting to prove an negative, they will expect you to provide evidence from all possible sources.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”