My Great Grandmother is lost

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

My Great Grandmother is lost

Postby Sambina » 27 May 2006, 22:17

I wanted to see if anyone could tell me how to find my GGmother. I have the information from her travel to the states. I also have the information about her marriage, death and children.

Yet I have found nothing of her family that was in Italy or any information about her in Italy.

She is said to have several siblings that stayed in Italy and yet I can't find her or her family in Italy. I have included the information below. If you could help It would be appreciated.

Her name was Vincenzina (Vincenza or Jenny) Camuglia
She came to the US with her brother Antonio on
[align=center]06 Sep 1920 From: Castiglione, Cantani
South Catania, Castiglione, Italy[/align]

According to the ship records she was 26 and her brother was 24. I don't think she was 26 because her marriage license in Rochester, NY said she was 25 at the time of the marriage. Also her death in 1928 she was said to be 29.

A year later she was married and pregnant in Rochester, NY

I have wondered if she had known her to be husband before they came to America.

The only information I have about her parents is on the Marriage license and that says:

[align=center]
Her father was Salvatore Camuglia (Who I don't think ever came to the US) and her mother Rose Santora (I think that is the spelling of her last name. It could be Santoro.)
[/align]

So does anyone know anything that could possibly help me?
I haven't been able to find anything and I really wish that I could.

Thank you for any help you have to offer.

:P
"Siamo nati, viviamo e moriamo poi! Perché non ha un grande tempo mentre lei vivono! L'amore, vive, la festa, e guida con la cima giù sotto la pioggia! ED una volta lei ha vissuto, ha amato, il partied, e corso intorno con la cima giù morte è

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: My Great Grandmother is lost

Postby jcsm400 » 27 May 2006, 22:52

deleted
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Sambina » 27 May 2006, 23:00

Camuglia was her maiden name. Her married name was Russo. She married Nicolo Russo in Jan 1921 in Rochester, NY.

She came with her brother who was also one of her witnesses at the wedding. I know that I have the right people. I just find nothing of them in Italy.

Thank you :wink:
"Siamo nati, viviamo e moriamo poi! Perché non ha un grande tempo mentre lei vivono! L'amore, vive, la festa, e guida con la cima giù sotto la pioggia! ED una volta lei ha vissuto, ha amato, il partied, e corso intorno con la cima giù morte è

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 27 May 2006, 23:24

Sambina,

Have you looked at the LDS films for the town of Castglionw?

Here is a link to available films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... o+civile++
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”