Birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Stellamoore

Birth certificate

Postby Stellamoore » 01 Jun 2006, 19:21

I was born in Norcia, Italy in 1941. I am getting my citizenship paper this Friday, but they say that the name on my birth cert. is Rosa Stella, instead of Stella Rosa. I have been known as Stella Rosa all my life. Also on my brothers birth cert. it says John Peter, instead of Peter John which is how he has been known. I don't see how my parents could have messed up on both of us.

Can anyone tell me if in Italy the names are reversed? I would like some info as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help.

Stella

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Birth certificate

Postby suanj » 01 Jun 2006, 21:39

Stella: on the birth certificate as all italian documents and certificates the right spell is:
SURNAME and first name... and because your surname and your first name are BOTH also only first names and ONLY surnames(Stella and Rosa) so they cannot know with precision what is your surname and what is your first name...

in the certificate,
the first is always the surname, the second is always the first name.. so for exemple:

STELLA (surname) Rosa(first name)

is different from

ROSA(surname) Stella(first name)
---------------------
so if your first name is Stella, your complete name ON certificates it will be: ROSA Stella;
if your first name is Rosa your complete name ON certificates it will be: STELLA Rosa
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 01 Jun 2006, 23:43

I may be misinterpreting the question, but I don't think Stellamoore was speaking of surnames. It is the first and middle names that seem to have been reversed. Is this a common problem?

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 02 Jun 2006, 00:46

mler wrote:I may be misinterpreting the question, but I don't think Stellamoore was speaking of surnames. It is the first and middle names that seem to have been reversed. Is this a common problem?

I agree with this. Her first and middle names are reversed. Will that cause problems for her with the citizenship process?

Nuccia

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 02 Jun 2006, 14:58

Ah ok, because in Italy this first names are also surnames I could not know that in this case was ONLY 2 first names.. well it is very important in Italy which is the 1° first name.. because Stella Rosa is no equal to Rosa Stella.... so the right is the Rosa Stella as italian birth certificate and this record is IRREFUTABLE. So it must correct the further documents , posterior of birthact....
Regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”