DUal Citizenship QUestion!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

DUal Citizenship QUestion!!

Postby jjk_16_21 » 19 Jun 2006, 06:03

I just got back from the INS a couple pieces of documents and one of them in particular I would like to ask about if anyone can help me. I am currently going through the process of Dual Citizenship. My GreatGrandfather Giuseppe Guarascio came to America in 1913 from San Giovanni in Fiore. My Grandmother was born in Detroit in 1937.

I am currently looking at my Great Grandfathers Alien Registration and I have a couple question.

1.) It says he came to the USA under the name of Giuseppe Guarashio, in which the actual Passenger Records has it as Guarascio. My main concern is that it says his birth was on March 6, 1906. My Grandmother and Great Aunt told me he never knew his exact birthday until the late 50's or so. Do you think it will be a problem with the Birth date difference and Name change in this document.

2. It states that he first citizenship papers were recieved in 1929. He then filed a petition for naturilaztion in 1940. Is it true that he wasnt a citzen until his last papers were processed. Since my Grandmother was born in 1937, would I still qualify for citizenship?

3.) Do you think the Italian Consulate will accept this as proof of my g-grandfather not being naturlized until after the birth of my grandmother?

Re: DUal Citizenship QUestion!!

Postby mler » 19 Jun 2006, 16:09

Regarding the name and birth date discrepancies, there is no way to be sure if this is an issue until you check with your consulate. Some are more lenient than others. I know this from personal experience. The first name on my dad's birth certificate is different from the name he uses. The New York consulate is ok with this; the Newark consulate insists on a name change.

So you really need to consult with consulate officials to see if what you have is acceptable. If not, you'll have to officially amend the records, an annoying process, but doable. BTW, my guess is that it would be acceptable because the second is a phonetic spelling of an Italian name, and easy error to make and one that occurred frequently. The date discrepancy may be more problematic, and you may have to amend this. Do check.

Re naturalization--the consulates require a naturalization date or a statement from INS indicating that no naturalization took place. You have a Petition of Naturalization, which may be enough. However, when I took mine to NY, the official wanted to know the exact date of naturalization. Luckily, this appeared on the Oath of Allegience. This was acceptable. Do you have either? If not, you should attempt to get one.

If you know for sure that your g-grandfather ultimately was naturalized, an easy way is to visit the NARA office serving your region. If you visit them in person, they will give you a certified copy on the spot, but you can also do this by mail.

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/ Here you will find the address of your local NARA office.

If your g-grandfather was not naturalized, try to get a statement to that effect from the INS.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”