Here is Gus Cherry's obit, I omitted the childrens names for privacy......
CHERRY, Gus On January 9, 2005. Of Drexel Hill, PA. Age 79. Beloved Father of xxxxx and xxxxx, dear brother of Louis, Frank and George Cherry, Jean DeHaven and the late Anthony and James Cherry. Also survived by his 5 grandchildren. Relatives and friends are invited to Gus Life Celebration Saturday from 9 to 10 AM and to his Funeral Mass at 10 AM at St. Lucy, 140 Green Lane, Manayunk, PA. Interment Westminster Cemetery. (Family service by SPENCER T. VIDEON FUNERAL HOME, Drexel Hill, PA, 610-259-2200) "A Life Celebration Home"
The Delaware County Daily Times
vj wrote:More info from wldspirits 1910 manifest find:
FERRARA Filomena, 44 Children all US Citizens (see dates in US below) CERASO Filippo?, 6 CERASO Maria, 7 CERASO Pietro, 4 CERASO Concetta, 1 Last residence S. Donato (Cosenza, Calabria) In Italy brother Domenico (of Filomena or children?) in S. Donato di Ninea Destination: Philadelphia In US 1900-1908 in Pennsylvania Joining husband/father Vincenzo CERASO in Manayunk (Philadelphia County, PA) on Baker & Gay St All born in S. Donato
Looks like a great match to Maria's manifests! Do we have a census yet? vj
Ok... to recap... Filomena and Vincenzo's children...
(vj, it does look like another sibling in Italy... at first glance it looked as if Filomena's brother was a Domenic...) Filippo
1910 manifest wldspirit located (ancestry. com image... certainly worth linking )
I hope it views well... (1910 PA manifest above) I've had it with imageshack I've tried linking other shots on other posts .... and you can't even read them once they're posted... I've made about 5 attempts with other images... and threw in the towel...
p.s. wouldn't it be funny if this wasn't the right family after all??
That would be funny...... Now if we haven't scaird off our poster.....
or overwhelmed him with our brainstorming here.........hopefully he can turn up some info from family members or perhaps St. Lucy's would be able to provide him with additional info, Gus was baptized at the same church his funeral service was held........if I am not mistaken........to lazy to go back thru post.......so Anthony would have had to provide info to the church and it stands to reason that he himself attended the same church........lots of possibilities here!!!!!
"Married Milldred Arnoni(e)" "Also My grandmother, Millie Cherry, do you have the spelling for her maiden name?" "My Father (Gus) was actually born in West Manayunk at a home of his aunt, in Montgomery County Just across the Schuylkill River." note: aunt = mother's sister?
Some census possibilities based on the above. So far more very loose connections - agree, may help research if mcherry's relatives recognize any names! vj
possible1910 US Census Lower Merion, Montgomery, PA
Jefferson St, West Manayunk, Ashland Heights, rents
- Casiano (Cosimo) ARNONE, 44 (1866), married 22 yrs (1888), immig 1894 Al, laborer Pencoyd RR
- wife Maria, 46 (1864), 5 children born/living, immig 1894
- daughter Vincenti, 14 (1896), b in PA, sorter - woolen mill
- son Chichily (Francesco), 11 (1899), b in PA
- daughter Arcily, 8 (1902), b in PA
- daughter Millia, 5 (1905), b in PA
boarder Giuseppi Spezano, 19, immig 1909 Al
boarder Sabbath Raphel, 22, immig 1906 Al
possible1920 US Census Lower Merion, Montgomery, PA
107 Jefferson St, owns house
- Cosimo ARNONE, 54 (1866), immig 1893 Al, laborer - iron works
- wife Mary, 53 (1867), immig unknown
- daughter Elsie M, 17 (1903), b in PA, spinner - worsted? mill
- daughter Millie F, 14 (1906), b in PA
- son Frank D, 20 (1900), b in PA, crane operator - iron works
- daughter-in-law Madeline M, 20 (1900), b in PA
great grandfather Cosimo Arnone? & father Gus Cherry's aunt Elsie Rotunda (grandmother Millie's sister)??
possible1930 US Census Lower Merion, Montgomery, PA
107 Jefferson St, owns $6,000
- Cosmo ARNONE, 64 (1866), married age 23 (1889), immig 1893 Al, laborer - iron works
- son-in-law Joseph ROTUNDA, 38 (1892), married age 29 (1921), immig 1909 Na, collect - leather mfg - daughter (of head, Cosmo) Elsie M, 27 (1903), b in PA, married age 19 - grandson Samuel, 8 (1922), b in PA
- grandson Frank, 5 (1925), b in PA
- grandson Joseph Jr, 1 yr 11 mos (1928), b in PA
wldspirit, eye's are getting tired, but this may be a small breakthru - if there is a connection to the Cherry family! vj
CHERRY/CERASCO names on same document
and it appears that 4406 Baker Street from manifest & Frank's WWI Card (page 2 of post) is in Manayunk (Myk) Philadelphia County, PA
"note the address for fiilippo's destination and that of Frank's registration............one says 4404 Baker and the other list 4406 Baker..... wldspirit"
possible relative 1942 Draft Registration Card Francesco CERASCO, Frank Cherry
(both names are on card)
317 Lyceum Ave, Rox., Philadelphia County, PA
55 yrs old
born 16 Nov 1888
in San Donato Ninea, Italy
wife Anna Cherry (same address)
employer Frank Cherry at
4406 Baker St, Myk, Philadelphia County, PA
signed Frank CHERRY
manifest may be related to census
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=1075 SS Cachemire 29 May 1893 Naples to NY
- line 1074 ARNONE Teresa, 12 (1881), female
- line 1075 ARNONE Casino, 28 (1865), male
Last residence Coregliane?
Destination New York
CERASO Family: Grandfather Anthony Cherry (Ceraso) b 1902 PA (wldspirit's 1930 Census) - What if he was born in Italy, not PA?
- What if he didn't come to US with relatives until 1921?
- It may explain why he's so difficult to find in any US record before 1930?
SS Patria, 21 Jan 1921, Naples to NY, lines 21 thru 23
- (21) Giuseppe CERASO, 23 (1897), single shoe-maker, reads/writes Italian
last residence S Donato Ninea
nearest relative in Italy father Vincenzo CERASO in S Donato Ninea, Cosenza
in US 1908-1913 in Manayunk (Phila), joining his brother Francesco CERASO at 4406 Backer (Baker) St in Manayunk
born in S Donato Ninea
- (22) Antonio CERASO, 18 (1902), single
shoe-maker, reads/writes Italian
last residence S Donato Ninea
nearest relative in Italy mother Rachele CERASO in S Donato Ninea, Cosenza
(note: Rachele CERASO = maiden name?, is brother Vincenzo?) in US before NO joining his uncle CERASO(Francesco?) at 160 Fountains St in Manayunk
born in S Donato Ninea
- (23) (notated cousin) Antonio CERASO, 20 (1899), single
(note: is hand-written 'cousin' notation in front of the wrong Antonio?) carpenter, reads/writes English last residence S Donato Ninea
nearest relative in Italy father Vincenzo CERASO in S Donato in US 1910-1914 in Manayunk (Phila)
joining his brother Francesco CERASO at 4406 Backer (Baker) St in Manayunk
born in US, New York