Domenico Mandica or Mandico ever naturalized?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Domenico Mandica or Mandico ever naturalized?

Postby JMFL » 11 Aug 2006, 14:38

Any suggestions on how I can find out if my grandfather naturalized? I have his social security card/number with his last name spelled Mandico. I know now that his last name in Italy was Mandica and my dad's birth certificate has my dad's last name as Mandica as well. It was changed sometime before he met my Mom. anyway, I have my grandmothers naturalization certificate and she was naturalied in 1944. I saw on the 1930 census that it states mygrandfather naturalized in 1905, which doesn't seem likeyly since he didnt arrive in USA until 1909.

I went to my local FHC and the woman there was new and not all the familiar with research, although very friendly. She suggested I look at the 1920 and 1910 census and see what they say. I'm not really sure how that would be helpful?

Any ideas on how I can find out if and when he may have naturalized? If he did naturalize, I'm assuming it would have been in Richmond County New York, as that is where my grandmother naturalized.

Thanks for any input,
Jan M

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Domenico Mandica or Mandico ever naturalized?

Postby wldspirit » 11 Aug 2006, 15:11

Some history on naturalization:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/h ... natrec.htm

a form to request a search for records:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

wldspirit

JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JMFL » 12 Aug 2006, 01:32

Thanks for your reply wldspirit. I had laready downloaded the form, I was hoping I might be able to obtain more information to make the search easier for UCIS. I am thinking of writing to NARA to see if they can supply me with the oath and petition, then I will certainily have enough info to go ahead and request the certified certificate from FOIA/UCIS.

Thanks for your guidance, you have always been so helpful and I do appreciate it,
Jan

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 12 Aug 2006, 04:47

Perhaps I am missing something here,......... but I used nothing more than my Nonno's name, birthdate, (which was taken from his soc sec card, and confirmed by his obit), and the county in which he lived to recieve his naturalization records. I also provided alternate spellings of his first name as nobody seems to be able to spell it correctly..... :?
wldspirit

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 12 Aug 2006, 10:35

Hi JMFL,

Column 23 on the 1930 shows the date 1905? Or is it in column 22 which is the year of immigration?

Just a thought./question?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JMFL » 12 Aug 2006, 22:23

Thanks jcsm,

Yes, I saw that from a posting on this site. But I have to tthink that the 1930 census was incorrect in stating that my grandfather was naturalized in 1905 since he didn't arrive in the US until 1909. When I went to the local LDS/FHC I mentioned this to the person there. She was new to her job and although friendly, wasn't sure about alot of research info. She said that it would be unlikely though to have the same information incorrect on several different census, so she suggested that I try and view the 1920 and 1910 census for information.

Jan

JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JMFL » 12 Aug 2006, 22:31

Hi wldspirit,

When I contacted NARA to get my maternal grandfathers naturalization documents, they informed me that I had to go through Richmond County Supreme Court (in NY), as they were the ones who had the records. I spoke with the clerk at Richmond County and she said to include as much information as possible in order to speed the process along. I have a photo copy of my mom's father naturalization certificate and I have the actual certificate for my dad'sl mother, who, also went through Richmond County. What I need now though is the one for my dad's father. I don't have any information for him and I was trying to find some to speed things up some. Once I get the info from Richmond County, I can then use that to appply for a certified copy of his Nat. Cert. thru FOIA.

I'm trying to get as much info as possible for FOIA because I have heard that without any info it can take up to a year for them to process a request.
Jan

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”