Great-Grandfater - Location of Birth, Point of Entry

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Great-Grandfater - Location of Birth, Point of Entry

Postby jschotz » 17 Aug 2006, 00:12

Hello and thank you for this great forum!
I am trying to find out two critical pieces of information about my great-grandfather and am just at a dead end. The first issue: Location of Birth in Italy. I currently have no documentation showing where he was born. The only documents that I have been able to find are his death certificate and everything just says Italy. Where does one start with this large a gap?

Second issue: Date of his/her emigration from Italy. I know that my family has told me the story of him leaving from Naples. The 1920 U.S. Census records show him arriving here in the USA in 1906 but 1907 is also a date with my family. The name that was on my grand-mothers birth certificate and his death certificate is Luigi Laibacco. I have not been able to track his entry through the usual ports of entry. I have been told by my many family members that he came straight to the USA. He was born January 25, 1890. It also has been explained that he entered with his parents - Angelo L. Laibacco b. 1864 & Maria G. Laibacco b. 1865. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Great-Grandfater - Location of Birth, Point of Entry

Postby wldspirit » 17 Aug 2006, 00:52

Locating a ship manifest may certainly turn up the town of origin, as well as other key info. Many times the manifest are hard to locate due to spelling errors, but we have members here that are fantastic at locating hard to find manifest.

Secondly, if he naturalized this will provide the town of origin, and church records are good sources of key info as well.
wldspirit

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 17 Aug 2006, 01:10

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific...where in the US would they have settled?

Can you link a copy of the census here? In what year does it say they arrived, more or less? Do you know his mothers maiden name? This will help us.

Keep us posted!

nuccia

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 17 Aug 2006, 01:15

Here's an Angelo... birthyear... 1864

First Name: Angelo
Last Name: Laibac
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Aug 21, 1893
Age at Arrival: 29y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Weser
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0653

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

Many times the father would immigrate first... then the rest of the family..

Unfortunately, this manifest doesn't show all that much info, tho this Angelo was off to PA

Maria

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 17 Aug 2006, 06:09

possible 1917 WWI Draft Card, Luzerne County, PA
(from ancestry.com, hard to read)
Louis LOIBOUO (written as LAIBOCCO or LAIBACCO)
311 RFD 4 Avoca, Luzerne, PA
27, b 25 Jan 1890
b in Tufo, Campania, Italy
support mother & father
single

laibacco ww1

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 17 Aug 2006, 06:38

LAIBACCO Family
possible 1910 US Census

Name: Angelo Aibaccha
Age in 1910: 46
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Laflin, Luzerne, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1893
Household:
Mary Aibaccha abt 1864 Italy Wife
Luiza Aibaccha abt 1889 Italy Son
Anderina Aibaccha abt 1899 Italy Daughter
Michael Aibaccha abt 1902 Pennsylvania Son
Thresa Aibaccha abt 1905 Pennsylvania Daughter
Pietro Aibaccha abt 1906 Pennsylvania Son
Fiore Aibaccha abt 1909 Pennsylvania Son
1910 census

note: immigration year for Mary & Luigi appears to be 1897

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 17 Aug 2006, 06:46

The LDS Church (Mormans) have filmed the civil records Ibirth, marriage, & death acts) for the town of Tufo. Here is a link to the available films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... o+civile++

Link to locate your nearest LDS-Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

A guide on obtaining the films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

And an Italian Genealogical Word list.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

Hope this helpss.

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 17 Aug 2006, 06:55

Luigi LAIBACCO

possible 1896 manifest
SS Bolivia 24 Aug 1896 Naples to NY
Luigi LAELAC..., 6 yrs old going to Pittston
- note: travelling with mother & sister?
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0007

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 17 Aug 2006, 10:10

A well deserved pat on the back.......with the last name, it could not have been easy to locate this info........
wldspirit

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 17 Aug 2006, 10:26

jschotz provided some very critical information - name, parents and birth dates. The search on ancestry was pretty much done without the last name! It appears that Maria's manifest may be on the money, esp with the birth year and PA destination. The 1920 census for both Angelo & Luigi may have 'americanized' versions of the last name: Lebeck & Liebock (the family appears to have settled pretty much in Luzerne County, PA)
Having difficulty with the 1896 manifest - (Maria) Grazia's last name SPAGU..., can't make a connection with anyone on any other manifests?
Would be nice to nail down her maiden name... Valarie

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 17 Aug 2006, 12:35

mfjp wrote:Here's an Angelo... birthyear... 1864

First Name: Angelo
Last Name: Laibac
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Aug 21, 1893
Age at Arrival: 29y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Weser
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0653

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

Many times the father would immigrate first... then the rest of the family..

Unfortunately, this manifest doesn't show all that much info, tho this Angelo was off to PA

Maria

Could be :wink:

Re: Tufo... (thanks to vj's info)
:P this manifest could be it...

Please note the passenger on line 652 Molinaro just above Angelo's name... and Luciano.. line 654 are common names from Tufo....

Also, Laibacco is such a unique name... but I am finding the name Iannaco to be much more common from Tufo... the 2 can be easily confused....

Iannaco and a few people from Tufo... Manifest

Really nice manifest find Valarie, the mother's surname is interesting...

This must have been a really small town...

Maria

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 17 Aug 2006, 12:44

jschotz wrote:....... The name that was on my grand-mothers birth certificate and his death certificate is Luigi Laibacco. I have not been able to track his entry through the usual ports of entry. I have been told by my many family members that he came straight to the USA. He was born January 25, 1890. It also has been explained that he entered with his parents - Angelo L. Laibacco b. 1864 & Maria G. Laibacco b. 1865. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By any chance... was Maria's middle name Grazia.... ?? I would certainly explain the mother's name on the manifest below...

vj wrote:Luigi LAIBACCO

possible 1896 manifest
SS Bolivia 24 Aug 1896 Naples to NY
Luigi LAELAC..., 6 yrs old going to Pittston
- note: travelling with mother & sister?
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0007

Longshots.... I think this time the ships record keeper made some errors... and not the Ellis Transcribers...

The name Padula mentioned on this manifest could be Pagliuca...

The name Leoparde mentioned could be Lepore

and also Coffe could be Cioffi or Ciufo

same with Maguole... it could be Maglio

These could be surnames existed in Tufo at one point...

As for Maria's manifest... I think her surname could be Maria Grazia Sparagna surname as shown here ... I am just guessing... so don't quote me on this....

Sample Sparagna (and Barile) from Tuffo

Man those raccoons are driving me nuts!! My son went outside over an hour ago and sprayed our backyard fences and picnic table with ammonia and water.... this stuff really works :x ... only because all these critters have now moved to the front of my house... where I am.... :? There's one on my verandah now...

I just hope there's NO lawn damage in the morning... I mean .. he sprayed everything...

Maria 8O

jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jschotz » 17 Aug 2006, 15:52

Thank you all very much for this work! I appreciate it greatly!

I will start to catch up on some of the questions here. All information I have says Luigi Laibacco did not naturalize. There is speculation that he may have intended but no one knows for sure all records checks so far have said he did not. (But the find of what looks like his World War I Draft Registration Card at least would confirm the idea that he was intending.)

They all went to the Pittston, Luzerne County, PA, area. Luigi worked in the coal mines in and around Pittston and became Louis Liback. (But the Americanization of his last name is a whole different story all together which I am sure many of you already can imagine). I don't know what his father did - I assume the same thing.

The 1920 census record for Luigi and family is here. This record indicates time of immigration as 1906. He died in December of 1929 so I can't use the 1930 census record to verify this date, and I can't find him in the 1910 census. So I don't quite know how to reconcile the 1906/1896 date from the manifest and the 1920 census...but I will have to do more checking around in the family history to see what could have happened here. Thanks for this find though!

Luigi's mothers name is listed on the death certificate as: Graziella Spaniala (or something close to this - difficult to read). Her Americanized name was Sarf. I am working on finding death certificates for both Angelo L. Laibacco & Maria G. Laibacco from Pennsylvania to see if there is any sort of information that can be gleened from those documents.

As for Angelo and Mary, not much more is known about them.

If anyone else needs more information, I will do what I can to provide more!

Thanks again!

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 17 Aug 2006, 20:19

Luigi's mothers name is listed on the death certificate as: Graziella Spaniala (or something close to this - difficult to read).

If you want us to take a look at her surname... please let us know... the document can be linked here and reviewed...

The manifest that vj located is certainly a good one (right on!) as the passenger listed does look like Graziella Spagniala (sp?) since the name was cut off....

Maria :P

jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jschotz » 18 Aug 2006, 20:01

Hello! Thanks so much to everyone who helped on this search...this really moved me forward on this.

I also spoke to a friend about Catholic Church record keeping (learning that the place of baptism is the place to go) and he helped me track down the actual church for Luigi and his wife. The maiden name of Luigi's mother was Spagnola (or something close but for sure it looked like to the custodian of records at the church S-P-A-G-N...) on the marriage record at the church - and it confirmed Tufo as the town. So thanks to vj and everyone for the records - this just reconfirms for me the manifest and all the records you found were right on the mark.

A note on the 1910 census record: In speaking with my mother, 3 of the siblings, as well as the mother and father's names, all correctly match Luigi's family. So this most likely is the 1910 record for them. She will be checking further into the other names of Luigi's siblings to better establish this is the right record...but I am 99% sure it is them. Thank you for this!

As this is for not only family history but citizenship, I will have more questions but all again thanks for the leg work to get me past this bump in the trail! Can't thank you enough!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”