Surname De Lara or Dellara

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
suzannen

Surname De Lara or Dellara

Postby suzannen » 23 Aug 2006, 05:21

Andrew De Lara shows up on UK census 1861 (as Dellara) and was born Italy - ?Parma - around 1816. Could his Italian name have been Andre or some derivative Andreuccio?

Palermo has also been mentioned, but I think this was port of departure perhaps. Can find no immigration records for him.

His wife came from Germany - Barbara Soert - Frankfurt? With both of them coming from overseas we have come to a standstill.

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname De Lara or Dellara

Postby jcsm400 » 23 Aug 2006, 08:41

Hi & welcome to the forum!

Have you check the ship manifest records held at the PRO Kew (thanks,member "joyse!")?

Have you obtained marriage record, death certificate, church records, obituary for Andrew? Barbara?......Get any & all records that may contain town of origin information.

Here in the US, sometimes even deeds for property may provide this information or a clue for further research.

Hope this helps.....maybe some other member will have more suggestions.

jcsm :)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 23 Aug 2006, 19:28

Hi Suzannen
Dont have much help to give you here except that I do know for certain the Italian for Andrew is Andrea.
God Bless
Emmy

suzannen

Postby suzannen » 24 Aug 2006, 05:13

Thanks jcsm and Emmy.
Death certificate for Andrew (or Andrea - thanks Emmy) 1891 England gives age 75 and census information gives us Parma.

I haven't been to Kew yet, planning a day off work to visit soon - like all of us hooked on this geneaology quest we keep looking under every stone and waiting for a breakthrough! I dont know anyone first hand who has searched ship manifest records at Kew so I am not sure what to expect for European sailings and how much is there. I have seen links on the internet (not through Kew) for searchable records for some of the ships to the US.

I have heard that a third cousin of mine might have found someone to search local records in Parma, but this is such a global hobby these days that its worth posting on genealogy sites because you never know someone else might have that missing jigsaw piece! I do know origins of De Lara are more Spanish than Italian - but this branch via Italy. thanks, suzannen

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”