visa for spouses

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Giovanni216

visa for spouses

Postby Giovanni216 » 23 Sep 2006, 17:53

I recently received my Italian citizenship, but am told my wife needs a visa to live in Italy beyond 90 days.

We do not have much funds, and so I am hoping to gain employment fairly quickly. We also cannot afford health insurance at first.

We have a young boy (school age), who also gained citizenship

Does anyone know the exact requirements for my wife, to be able to accompany me and remain in Italy? Also, based on what I said, will she be denied living in Italy? I would hate to see my son be without his mother. any advice?

wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Re: visa for spouses

Postby wishyou » 23 Sep 2006, 21:21

"We do not have much funds, and so I am hoping to gain employment fairly quickly. We also cannot afford health insurance at first."
At the moment you are resident in Italy health care is (almost) totally free.
You don't have to pay personal doctor and hospital recovery. You have to pay some medicine and eventually exams, but not more than 45 dollars each.

"Does anyone know the exact requirements for my wife, to be able to accompany me and remain in Italy? Also, based on what I said, will she be denied living in Italy?"
If I weel remember, if you are resident in Italy and you are italian you can ask a pemament visa of your wife, but she must your wife (You have to be married) and you have to ask to italian consolato to register your marriage. Once in Italy you can ask a pemament visa for her. Having a under 18 child, itlain citizen, give a prority to her visa.

But, believe me or you are sure to find a job here or is better that you'll stay in the States.....

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 23 Sep 2006, 22:59

Keep in mind, too, that once you register your marriage, you wife is also eligible to apply for citizenship (after three years of marriage if you were not living in Italy, and after one year of marriage if you were living in Italy). I would suggest registering your marriage promptly so that your wife can immediately apply. You can do so at your local consulate.

Until her citizenship comes through, she can obtain a visa for purposes of remaining with family (I'm not sure what it's called in Italian). The following information comes from the Consulate in NYC. I would assume that requirements are the same at all consulates:

FAMILY REASONS VISA REQUIREMENTS

Please note that this Consulate General can process visa applications only for the residents of Connecticut, New York State and the following New Jersey counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union and Warren.

The family reasons visa allows entrance in Italy to:

the spouse of an Italian citizen,

a relative (spouse, children, or dependent parents) of a non-EU citizen holding a regular Italian Permit of stay.

All documents must be produced in original and photocopy. Please be advised that Visa processing times may vary between 8 to 15 days.

Personal appearance, one passport size photograph (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm or 1''3/8 x 1''3/4, full front and white background) and one application form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate;

Passport valid three months over the planned stay in Italy. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved;

Visa fee paid for with the exact amount either in cash or with a money order payable to the Consulate General of Italy.

For non US citizens, proof of residence such as: Alien Registration Card or a valid US INS visa and letter from US government letters i.e. Advanced Parole, IAP66, I20 and copies (any visa except B1-B2);

Proof of relationship (birth certificates for children or marriage certificate for spouse);

"Nulla Osta" issued for family reasons by the Questura of the family member's residence. Spouses of Italian citizens do not need the "Nulla Osta"; they should instead provide the Visa Office with a specific Petition duly filled and signed by the Italian spouse.

Foreigners applying for permanent residency in Italy through marriage to an Italian citizen must register their marriage at the competent Italian Consulate prior to applying for the visa.

This consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does NOT guarantee the issuance of any particular visa.

Giovanni216

Postby Giovanni216 » 24 Sep 2006, 00:19

mler,

Isn`t our marriage already registered in the consulate? I had to produce it when I first applied. Also, our son`s birth certificate and our marriage certificate is also at the consulate, so why would we need to produce them twice? actually, we don`t have them, the consulate does, and are supposed to forward them to the comune.
How can I give them something I don`t have? They already have all the documents
Is there something I am misunderstanding? Thanks for the reply

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 24 Sep 2006, 02:35

As an Italian citizen, you are required to notify the consulate when you marry, divorce, or have a child so that these events can be registered. Apparently, this was done when your application for citizenship was accepted.

Since all the paperwork is done, your wife should now apply for that visa. When you are both at the consulate, let them know that your wife intends to seek citizenship as the wife of an Italian. They will tell you how to do so. It is my understanding that the processing time is about 1-2 years; but in the meantime, your wife will be able to stay with you and your son on the family visa.

Do this as soon as possible. The papers you submitted were for your (and your son's) jure sanguinis application. It MAY be possible (I'm not sure of this) that you wife may have to produce these forms for her own citizenship application. Check with your consulate, but in the meantime, you may want to send for new marriage and birth certificates just in case.

You and your son are, of course, covered under Italy's health program. Your wife may be covered as well. Ask at the consulate

Good luck

wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wishyou » 24 Sep 2006, 05:35

"Your wife may be covered as well"

Yes, she will.

Illegal immgrants are covered too....

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 24 Sep 2006, 06:46

wishyou wrote:"
Illegal immgrants are covered too....

Crazy, isn't it. :roll:

But to reiterate--Giovanni, if you plan to make your home it Italy, it makes sense for your wife to apply for citizenship as well. A visa allows her to stay; the citizenship makes her "belong."

Ciao

Giovanni216

Postby Giovanni216 » 24 Sep 2006, 09:43

Grazie for all your help

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 24 Sep 2006, 15:31

Hi Giovanni,
You may find this site helpful, covers in depth questions with regard to citizenship issues and areas of interest to expats....alot of useful information to be had.
wldspirit

http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizenshi ... italy.html

Bastaria

Postby Bastaria » 27 Sep 2006, 19:06

I married an Italien man about 16 years ago and took the Italien Nationality. We have been living around the world and just returned about 5 years ago. Can my husband request the nullification of my italien nationality after divorce?.

Thanks for any information.

wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wishyou » 28 Sep 2006, 02:37

No, he can't. If, at the moment of the request of the citizenship, you had the rights to be Italian citizen, you cannot loose it until YOU decide to renounce.
He can't do anything about it.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”