Question of Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Question of Naturalization

Postby jschotz » 25 Sep 2006, 19:48

I just received a response from the State of Pennsylvania, County of Luzerne, with photocopies of the Declaration of Intention, Petition of Naturalization, and Oath of Allegiance, of my Great-Grandfather. It has a "declaration of intention" date (6 November 1919) and a date providing that the "order of court admitting petitioner" was made on 4 January 1922.

I would like to know which date is used as cutoff for being Naturalized. My Grandmother was born after the intention date but before the "admission" date. Does this mean she lost her Italian citizenship?

Also, since my Grandmother is listed on the document, does that mean she had her Italian citizenship renounced? It only has her first name, date of birth (19 May 1920), and location of birth listed (which is Pennsylvania).

He looses his Italian citizenship on the date the "order of court admitting petitioner" is signed; correct?
She keeps her citizenship to Italy since she was born prior to him becoming naturalized; correct?

Thanks again for the forum...

Jacob

Giovanni216

Re: Question of Naturalization

Postby Giovanni216 » 25 Sep 2006, 22:09

Jacob,

A date of intent means nothing, as many immigrants returned to their native country before completing the naturalization process.

If your Grandmother was born after the declaration of Intent, or the petition, but BEFORE the actual naturalization date, than she IS an Italian citizen.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 25 Sep 2006, 22:54

Your grandmother keeps her citizenship because she was born in Pennsylvania and was, therefore, born an American (although she had Italian citizenship through her father who was still Italian when she was born). As a born American, naturalization does not apply to her.

If, however, you are claiming citizenship through your grandmother, whose son/daughter was born before 1948, it will not work. Women could not pass on citizenship before January 1, 1948. If your dad (mom) was born after that date, no problem.

jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jschotz » 28 Sep 2006, 03:10

Thank you very much. :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”