Lose of nationality after divorce

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Bastaria

Lose of nationality after divorce

Postby Bastaria » 27 Sep 2006, 19:10

I married an Italien man about 16 years ago and took the Italien Nationality. We have been living around the world and just returned about 5 years ago. Can my husband request the nullification of my italien nationality after divorce?.

Thanks for any information.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Lose of nationality after divorce

Postby ricbru » 27 Sep 2006, 19:18

Hello,
the Italian law says that you have to be married with an Italian citizen at least for 3 years to get the Italian citizenship from marriage, after that no one can take out your Italian citizenship,
Read below

http://www.italconsulnyc.org/Cittadinan ... m#Marriage

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:

Bastaria

Postby Bastaria » 27 Sep 2006, 19:31

Thanks Ricardo, but then why do I need the consent or the presence of my husband when I want to renew my Passport, as requested by Local Authority?.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 27 Sep 2006, 19:43

Usually local authority need the presence of your husband to renew the Italian passport if you have minor children
bye Riccardo

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 28 Sep 2006, 02:29

Just to confirm: You need to be married to an Italian to obtain Italian citizenship, but once you have it, it is yours permanently unless you renounce it. You ex-husband has no input on this.

wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wishyou » 28 Sep 2006, 02:41

Just to confirm...
No, he can't. If, at the moment of the request of the citizenship, you had the rights to be Italian citizen, you cannot loose it until YOU decide to renounce.
He can't do anything about it.

"Usually local authority need the presence of your husband to renew the Italian passport if you have minor children"
Not anymore. And anyway, if they had minor children and they are entrusted by a tribunal to her, she will need only the judge permission.
But actually, in Italy, you don't need these papers too.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”