trying to trace origin of my last name its carpenado i can

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

TGhe surname can be spelled in a few different ways and one letter off can cause problems in research. Just where did they enter the coutnry from or from what town in Italy are they from and where did you get the spelling Carpenado from??? It doesn;t sound right. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 97 Carpenedo listed for Italy but no Carpinado. One letter makes a difference. Where did you get caprinado from?? How far back does it go in your family as far as you know. Peter
jasonc

Re: trying to trace origin of my last name its carpenado i

Post by jasonc »

i know that my grandfather had a brother with the last name CARPENEDO.somehow his last name became CARPENADO.ive looked for more info but with no help.there fathers name was mario .please help me.e mail me at jasoncarpenado1@hotmail.com if you know anything.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I already furnished you with the telephone number up in Canada to start your rresearch. Peter
jasonc

Post by jasonc »

i got lucky bigtime.i found a step sister of my grandfather's.she said a school teacher had mispelled carpenedo to carpenado.and for some reason it stuck.weird.i guess when my grandfather victor joined the canadian army they spelt it that way too.she said she had mailed some pictures of my great grandfather mario to one of my dads sister's and they have some writing on the back but in italian.im tryin to get those now.so i hope u can help me read it when i get them .thank you.and maybe itll be usefull in finding my root's.thank you for helping me.
jasonc

Post by jasonc »

i spoke with the lady with the picture.she insists that our name is carpenado.i dunno whats up.she has a family tree list but nothing back to the homeland.lol.but she is going to send me the photo threw e mail and list .she did tell me the photo was of man\woman and little boy.some english on the back says victors[mygranfather] relatives in italy.with some italian.unfortunatly there is some wear on the writing but she spelled these words out for me the best she could.>siusipjie\carlotta\renato\and danor* the r may be an I.dated 10\10\42.pleae help me.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

They could be giuseppe, Carlotta, renato and Dan...? which are first names and the date 10/10/42 (ww11 year in Italy). Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Jason,
I did a search of both variations of the surname... and this is all I could find from the Ellis Island website...
Carpanedo,Antonio of Fozo 1902 age 22
Carpanedo,Eugenio of Fozo 1902 age 26
Carpanedo,Guiseppe of Fozo 1902 age 38
Carpanedo,Luigi Fozo 1902 age 40
Carpenedo,Francesco Fozo 1902 
Carpenedo,Agostino of Asiago, Italy 1910 age 28 
Carpenedo,Giuseppe of Asiago, Italy 1910 age 28 

not many either... Fozo and Asiago are towns close to each other... But no ship record of your Great grandfather Mario. You did mention that he may have traveled alone... you were not sure.

I am not sure if you looked at the links to the manifest mentioned on the other post. This one in particular... note that Agostino was going to Spokane Washington to be with his cousin Mariano... Since Mariano (Mario) cannot be found on the Ellis Island database, he could have easily sailed to the Western ports of the USA/Canada (San Francisco or British Columbia)... or to other Eastern ports.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3202040187

here is a link to Fozo...
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/024/041/index.html

Using the "Locations in Italy" Database (on the left of the webpage...) just do a search of Asiago ...

I think it would help if you could give approximate birthdates... of the people you are looking for. Also you never did mention what Canadian province your Grandfather settled in....8O

If your Grandfather served in the Canadian Army, then you could contact the closest Canadian Legion in the area he lived in for info.

I think your ancestors are researchable... I don't think your last name is going to hamper your research... since there are 2 variations (for now)... and you only have 2 neighbouring towns to work with... Fozo and Asiago...

mfjp
jasonc

Post by jasonc »

jasonc wrote:i spoke with the lady with the picture.she insists that our name is carpenado.i dunno whats up.she has a family tree list but nothing back to the homeland.lol.but she is going to send me the photo threw e mail and list .she did tell me the photo was of man\woman and little boy.some english on the back says victors[mygranfather] relatives in italy.with some italian.unfortunatly there is some wear on the writing but she spelled these words out for me the best she could.>siusipjie\carlotta\renato\and danor* the r may be an I.dated 10\10\42.pleae help me.
also one other word was tutti mygranfather i beleive was born in drinkwater saskatchewan.theres an old farm pic of mario beleived to be from there.its so hard findinthings plus i dont read italian which makes it hard. thank you all for ur help so much.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jasonc wrote:
jasonc wrote:i spoke with the lady with the picture.she insists that our name is carpenado.i dunno whats up.she has a family tree list but nothing back to the homeland.lol.but she is going to send me the photo threw e mail and list .she did tell me the photo was of man\woman and little boy.some english on the back says victors[mygranfather] relatives in italy.with some italian.unfortunatly there is some wear on the writing but she spelled these words out for me the best she could.>siusipjie\carlotta\renato\and danor* the r may be an I.dated 10\10\42.pleae help me.
also one other word was tutti mygranfather i beleive was born in drinkwater saskatchewan.theres an old farm pic of mario beleived to be from there.its so hard findinthings plus i dont read italian which makes it hard. thank you all for ur help so much.
Hi: here are an Carpenado Victor Oliver widow died the 4/29/94 in Calgary(Alberta/Canada) age 73 spouse Sadie http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/announcements/1994/c.html
suanj
jasonc

Post by jasonc »

yeah i know that i was in the city when that happened.im trying to figure how to put this all together and figure the correct speeling of myname.those words on the picture.SIUSIPJIE\CARLOTTA\RENATO.i beleive are names of people but the other two words.TUTTI and the other DANOR the R might be an I.dated around ww2.what are the last 2.names places.idont think there places i really dont kow i go to the italian sites and its hard to understand.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

"yeah i know that i was in the city when that happened."

Can you offer more information about this?

Is this your Grandfather Victor? You did not even say who he was!

You also mentioned that you believe that your Grandfather was born in Drinkwater, Saskatchewan??

Please note, "suanj" is a researcher from Italy - who has offered great information. Try to avoid slang as it does not translate very well.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jasonc wrote:yeah i know that i was in the city when that happened.im trying to figure how to put this all together and figure the correct speeling of myname.those words on the picture.SIUSIPJIE\CARLOTTA\RENATO.i beleive are names of people but the other two words.TUTTI and the other DANOR the R might be an I.dated around ww2.what are the last 2.names places.idont think there places i really dont kow i go to the italian sites and its hard to understand.
Ok: SIUSIPJIE\CARLOTTA\RENATO=Giuseppe/Carlotta/Renato just ... Danor..or Danoi = Daniele? ...... =perhaps Saluti =regards....Tutti=all please post the picture??OK?
Correct spelling in Italy is sure CarpEnedo
..suanj
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Could the "TUTTI DANOI" bit be "saluti da noi" = "regards from us"?

As suanj suggests, a scan of the hand writing would help greatly here.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

DeliBoy wrote:Could the "TUTTI DANOI" bit be "saluti da noi" = "regards from us"?

As suanj suggests, a scan of the hand writing would help greatly here.
oh yes, Da (from) noi (we) tutti (all)!
suanj