how many generations are too many?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
buzzinrizza

how many generations are too many?

Postby buzzinrizza » 06 Nov 2006, 21:24

There is some slight confusion when looking at, what seems like should be the place to look for the real deal on Italian Citizenship, the Consulate website. It seems very clear that 2 generations is max(parent must be Italian). However there are dozens of websites that say there is no limit on generations. I have spent over a year collecting documents back to my Great Grandparents, who were born in Italy. Has anyone had problems with this at the Consulate in San francisco? Also, how strict is the criminal record search? I received a DUI almost 10 years ago and that is the only slip up I have ever had. I am still not allowed in Canada because of it. Will this render all my hard work useless for obtaining Citizenship?

mler
Master
Master

Re: how many generations are too many?

Postby mler » 07 Nov 2006, 00:12

There is NO generational limit to qualify for citizenship jure sanguinis. Most consulate websites only trace documents back to the grandparents for simplicity's sake. To go back an additional generation or two, you simply follow the same pattern. Applying through a great grandparent (or even a great great grandparent) is not only permissible; it is also not unusual.

As far as a criminal record search is concerned, that is only an issue for those who intend to obtain Italian citizenship through naturalization (for example, through marriage to an Italian). No FBI statement of good conduct or any other type of criminal investigation is needed for jure sanguinis. All you need to supply is proof that the line of Italian citizenship has not been broken from the original Italian in your family to you.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”