Is an apostille needed for a baptismal certificate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tbreina

Is an apostille needed for a baptismal certificate?

Postby tbreina » 12 Jan 2007, 15:12

I'm applying for dual U.S./Italian citizenship (San Francisco Italian Consulate). All of my state-issued certificates (birth, marriage, death) have apostilles.

My grandfather only has a baptismal certificate (no birth record). I've got an official baptismal certificate with raised seal showing birth date, place, and parent's names. It's issued by the Roman Catholic Diocese in Baltimore. Does it need an apostille too? Or, do chruch records need an apostille?

Thanks.
-Tony Reina

mler
Master
Master

Re: Is an apostille needed for a baptismal certificate?

Postby mler » 13 Jan 2007, 17:25

It is my understanding that all documents originating in the U.S. (with the exception of naturalization documents) require apostilles.

Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Is an apostille needed for a baptismal certificate?

Postby Nello-LosAngeles » 28 Jan 2007, 22:47

Hi Tony,
You pose an iteresting question. I am new to this and am also applying for citizenship. First, I don't know if a baptisimal record would be acceptible to the consulate. Perhaps you should ask them. Secondly, isn't an apostille a state certification that the record is valid? Therefore, can the state apply an apostille to it? If they can wouldn't it have to be done in Maryland?

Let us know what you find out.

Nello

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”