Question about NY Italian Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hellosquire
Rookie
Rookie

Question about NY Italian Consulate

Postby hellosquire » 01 Feb 2007, 08:07

I'm in the process of gathering documents for dual citizenship, and I need an official copy of my great-grandfather's death certificate. As I am not a direct line descendant, they are reluctant to give me an offical copy. Does anyone know if the Italian Consulate in New York will sign a letter stating that I need it for a legal cause? Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

I don't know what harm comes from issuing a death certificate for someone who died in 1936, especially to someone who still lives at the same address of the deceased... :(

mler
Master
Master

Re: Question about NY Italian Consulate

Postby mler » 01 Feb 2007, 14:06

I'm not sure what you mean by "direct line descendent," but if you mean that you are not the son or daughter of the deceased, that may be the issue. From reading about the experiences of others, I sense that New York State is particularly difficult when it comes to releasing documents. New York City is considerably easier.

If the documents come from New York State, you apparently need such a letter, but I don't think that the NY Consulate generally issues one. I wonder, however, if the information from the NY Consulate website would be acceptable. It might be worth a try. (You could print the requirements, and also include the web address.)

hellosquire
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hellosquire » 01 Feb 2007, 22:39

Yes, I meant that I'm not the son of the deceased. I think it's a good idea to bring the info from the consulate website, I'll do that. Thanks.

Nocta

Postby Nocta » 17 Feb 2007, 16:30

I think New York State requires an official request from the NY consulate. I went in to the consulate and brought a letter template:

"To Whom It May Concern:
Mr. X came into our office to apply for Italian Citizenship. Among the required documents is the ---- certificate of ------."

They re-typed it, signed it and added a seal during my appointment. I know this sounds tedious but it was the only way I could get it. Good luck.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”