Formoto plurilingue / Carte legale --WHICH or BOTH

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Formoto plurilingue / Carte legale --WHICH or BOTH

Postby Nello-LosAngeles » 06 Feb 2007, 19:10

Good Morning

I sent a letter to Italy requesting - "estratto dell'atto di nascita in formoto plurilingue, in carte legale".

Was this correct?

If I had only used "in carte legale" would that have been enough?

If I had only used "in formoto plurilingue" would that have been enough?

I would like to know for next time.

Thanks
Nello

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Formoto plurilingue / Carte legale --WHICH or BOTH

Postby drovedo » 06 Feb 2007, 20:26

Nello,

In reply to an earlier reply of yours regarding statement of no records, I do not believe that having a Italian passport is a requirement for the application process. HOWEVER, an official at the Boston Consulate told me that having the Italian passport of an ancestor is very desirable and automatically proves citizenship and prevents one from wasting time and money getting further documents.

I'm not sure that having a "copy" of a Italian passport would be deemed the same. I think this is a question only the consulate can answer. In addition to the certification of "no records" you might need a statement from NARA (National Archives-Regional) stating that they have no records.

I'm interested in getting copies of Italian passport records anyways as they may have info that I don't have.

As for your question here, I think Carte Legale is enough if the document is written in Italian and not French,German, or Latin. The consulate is going to require most likely all docs be in Italian. Did you happen to specify which languages in the request?

Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Formoto plurilingue / Carte legale --WHICH or BOTH

Postby Nello-LosAngeles » 06 Feb 2007, 20:58

Drovedo,
I stated that I was in the USA. One of the regular posters on this site suggested the plurilingue format. He is a professional, so went with his advise. I wondered, as I was writing, "what does multi-language format mean." The letter is gone, I guess, I'll soon see. I have a long delay caused by the need to get a copy of a US doucment amended. The one doc I though would be easy was my father's birth certificate. When I pulled a copy I found that the certificate did not have his first name on it. ( As is the case with so many children they are not named immediately.) To file an Affidavate to amend a birth certificate and get a new certified copy with the amendment takes 7 months in California. So I am on coast for awhile.

Nello

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”