Was there"COMMON LAW" marriage in Italy around 190

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Was there"COMMON LAW" marriage in Italy around 190

Postby Nello-LosAngeles » 15 Mar 2007, 22:49

I am having difficulty locating an Atto di Matrimonio for my grandparents and am beginning to wonder if they were ever married. My request to the commune for birth records and marriage records produced their birth records but nothing on the marriage. I have also checked the LDS films from the commune and have not found anything. They had a child in Italy before coming to the USA. In 1910 censu they say they were married 9 years which would put the marriage before arrival in the US.

I'll search for the record of the Italian born child to see what that produces.

Was "Common Law" marriage a possibility?

Do you think the Italian Consulate accept an dual citizenship application without the marriage record? ( All census show they are married. All birth certificates of thier US born children show them as the parents.)

I appreciate your thoughts.
Nello

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Was there"COMMON LAW" marriage in Italy around

Postby Poipuo4 » 16 Mar 2007, 13:12

I can't answer the question about common law marriage, but have you written to the mother church in the local commune. I understand that sometimes the commune may not have the records but the church will have proof that the religious ceremony took place.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 16 Mar 2007, 13:55

In Italy don't exist a common Law abt the marriage, but only State LAW; so if no married in the Common, as it result from birthacts, they no married in Italy; you must to read on child birthact, because if the child born out marriage on the child birthact it is wrote that the parents no married...

what is wrote on the USA census is no important because, they have declared so, but it was impossible to control it if true or no... for use and tradition, and culture also, normally a man and a woman don't married, don't want, never, that the other peoples know abt cohabitation without marriage, and so they say always that are married, for don't have blame of realtives, friends and all....
So it is possible that they married in USA if married... In Italy was no possible to be married with all civil rights of wedding, without right documents and out the Common( birthplace/residence of bridegroom or birthplace/residence of bride) .. in any case if in the Common don't result by birthacts they no married...please to read the child birthact: if they married on the child birthact you can read " sua legittima moglie seco convivente"... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 16 Mar 2007, 13:56

abt the italian citizenship is no a problem for you if they no married.. so I think... suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”